GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Hot Gearbox

Default Hot Gearbox

Hi,
    when going on medium to long runs, I feel heat coming up through the central console. Even the gearshift lever tube gets very warm.
    Is my auto gearbox overheating?
    Car has not been the same since the head gasket blew. Root cause was radiator blockage. Replaced radiator with Nissens replacement (137377 SELMA), head was skimmed, water pump etc changed.
    Any advice welcome.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pfmc24
    Hi,
    when going on medium to long runs, I feel heat coming up through the central console. Even the gearshift lever tube gets very warm.
    Is my auto gearbox overheating?
    Car has not been the same since the head gasket blew. Root cause was radiator blockage. Replaced radiator with Nissens replacement (137377 SELMA), head was skimmed, water pump etc changed.
    Any advice welcome.

Pete
    My 525i box used to get /really/ warm, as in you couldnt touch the shifter tube, though I know the box was low on oil and shafted on that one. My 525tds stays cool most of the time, though if I hit the magic S button and thrash it around, it starts to warm up. And the shift lever starts to get mildly warm to the touch.

my 5spd manual gearbox gets warm after a long drive, but never hot.

I think the heat transfer is kind-of normal. Every vehicle I've ever had with a floow mounted slushbox got warm to some degree. Ususally there's a heat shield in between the shifter and the top of the trans, but I've seen some not get re-installed or simply fall apart.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx
    I think the heat transfer is kind-of normal. Every vehicle I've ever had with a floow mounted slushbox got warm to some degree. Ususally there's a heat shield in between the shifter and the top of the trans, but I've seen some not get re-installed or simply fall apart.
    Actually, that's a point - why is there a gearbox oil cooler if the gearbox isnt meant to get hot?

Well, the heat we're feeling is nowhere near the heat the fluid gets to. It's exactly like your radiator up front. Sure, it cools off the engine coolant, but its still really hot to the touch, enough to generate uncomfortable heat if you were sitting right next to it.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx
    Well, the heat we're feeling is nowhere near the heat the fluid gets to. It's exactly like your radiator up front. Sure, it cools off the engine coolant, but its still really hot to the touch, enough to generate uncomfortable heat if you were sitting right next to it.
    *cough*

Apologies, that was supposed to be a rhetorical question.

Thanks for those thoughts.
    I'll replace the ATF and filter, check the heatsheild is OK, but:
    1) Anyone know if the Nissens radiator is the right replacement for the OEM rad? 2) Maybe a pump has gone kaput, how can I check if the ATF fluid is circulating to the rad?
    Pete