GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M50 Serpentine Belt Tensioner Tool . . .

Default M50 Serpentine Belt Tensioner Tool . . .

Donco special tool #567 temporarily compresses the tensioner for the a/c belt. Works like a champ:

necessity is the mother of invention (bottle jack & c-clamp kept slipping off the ends)

No prybars in yer town? Not that there is much room, but changing the belts on the m3 isn't as bad as the 535. Well, if the supacharger wasn't such a bulky thing.
    erased due to slander

why do you need it? I have changed my ac belt with out any special tools. Am I missing something here?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    why do you need it? I have changed my ac belt with out any special tools. Am I missing something here?
    Maybe I'm just tired of working on this beast. I've been homesteading it for 2 weeks now changing the pan gasket & noticed a bunch of other stuff that needed attention while taking everything off.

It's in an e36 m50 which has 2 separate serpentine belts. The main belt swaps easily with a breaker bar on the tensioner but the tensioner/idler for the a/c (whose belt has to be removed to do the main belt) is buried behind the radiator with little room to get to it. The dash pot tensioner is wide open underneath so looked easy to get to it that way.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

prybar from the bottom gets em every time for me, but you can't pry on the rounded end of the shock or you can break the thin aluminum
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

e36? thats different!

dude, i nedd one of those! runnin sans ac since the tensioner busted apart when putting the belt back on after the supercharger install...

is there a clip in there holding the two halves together, or is it just held together by being in place?
    SchwarzII 95 m50b25tu. smoked rear, clear front. bilstein/eibach, uuc flywheel/M5 clutch, RD strut and sway bars. VFE supercharged!!!

once it breaks apart it's crap 11 28 1 717 210 $57 list can probably be had 45-50 if you shop around

Quote Originally Posted by steve0suprem0
    dude, i nedd one of those! runnin sans ac since the tensioner busted apart when putting the belt back on after the supercharger install...

is there a clip in there holding the two halves together, or is it just held together by being in place?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    once it breaks apart it's crap 11 28 1 717 210 $57 list can probably be had 45-50 if you shop around
    bummer, i figured as much. well, looks like i'm gonna be shopping.

EDIT: pelican has it (listed for an e36) for 44. real oem has the same part number for e34, 36, 39 and z3... but the part number on gale's pic ends with the same numbers...

so the question is have is: if i get to the pick n pull and find one, it should be the same, right? also, do i need to put the tol on it first, then take it off, or will it stay together while i pull it?
    Last edited by steve0suprem0; 06-10-2007 at 09:32 PM.
    SchwarzII 95 m50b25tu. smoked rear, clear front. bilstein/eibach, uuc flywheel/M5 clutch, RD strut and sway bars. VFE supercharged!!!

if it's not dead and broken it will stay together, weather or not theres any oil left in it to dampen the belt movement...... once they are old and dry they can get noisy