GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Advice needed re bushing and bracket in control arm on 525ix.

Default Advice needed re bushing and bracket in control arm on 525ix.

Am replacing wishbone shaped control arms on my latest acquisition an 11/94 525ix.

I need advice as to how to insert the cotrol arm into rubber bushing and how to insert the metal cannister containing the bushing into the bracket. Items 1, 2 & 3 at the following page from realoem : http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=31&fg=05

I presume that I mount the bracket first and then heat it to allow the cylinder containing the bushing and the shaft from the control arm to slide into it.

I am wondering, however, how to insert the control arm into the rubber bushing - do I lubricate it or is there some other method ?

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

For items 2 and 3 you could try pushing a bolt through the middle with a couple of large washers to hold the whole thing in place and wind a nut on slowly so that the whole thing comes together if you get my drift, I've used this before for similar things, not sure how you would get that on to part 1 though apart from a lot of pain and lube!
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

I'm doing my wife's e36 tomorrow, which has the similar wishbone control arms. I bought the bushing/brackets with the bushing already installed. Here's a tech article from Pelican Parts:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...eplacement.htm

They mention using an evaporating kerosene base grease to slide the inner bushing onto the end of the control arm. I'll use lacquer base hair spray to slide them on.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Thanks for the advice - yes it is all very similar to a 3 series.

I suspect that the distance that the control arm goes into the bushing will be determined when I bolt the new control arm to the chassis.

Fun and games !

Bump.

Anyone else have any further advice ?

Yeah, 50/50 mix of soap and water for the bushing to control arm fit.

The bushing must be pressed into the lollipop with a press, there are alignment marks on the bushing and the lollipop, make sure they are aligned when pressing the new one on. Bolt the lollipop onto the frame, lightly sand off any paint that is on the end of the control arm or you'll never get it to slide into the bushing. Lube the end of the control arm, twist and push into position. It'll take some effort. Lower the car to ramps or to the ground and tighten everything to spec before the lube fades. The car should sit 24 hours without driving to allow the lube to evaporate so the bushing can bite into the control arm.

The E30 uses the same wishbone/bushing setup. You can do a search on the net for E30 control arms and you should get all kinds of information.

Good luck!
    JR

Thanks JR

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    Bump.

Anyone else have any further advice ?
    Old message but just in case. I just finished the same job and I have the relevant pages from the official repair manual that specify how you must press the bushing into the bracket (need a hydraulic press) and the control arm into the bushing (doesn't require hydraulics but I still needed a tool). I used these instructions (and measured the rotation of the bushing relative to the control arm, which is not specified, from the old one) and everything bolted to the car cleanly. I can email the pages if someone is interested.

I replaced all the ball joints and bushings in the front, except the steering links, and the effect is quite noticeable... I also replaced the CV joint rubber boots and noted that the CV joints seemed to be in excellent condition - at 190000 km.