GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Head bolt torques. M50 2.5

Default Head bolt torques. M50 2.5

No I'm not being a lazy person -search button doesnt work! :-) Standard instructions are 20nm first torque, then 90 degrees then another 90 degrees. My torque wrench is good but doesnt even start till 28. I'm sure I've seen 3 stages of torque in nm on here somewhere. I've got them at 120nm at the moment. That feels like more than enough for an ali head. Anybody put me right?

i don't know about nm but it's 22 foot pounds and 90 degrees, then another 90 degrees, it's not good to over torque these bolts because they will break as they are designed to have a certain amount of elasticity to deal with the differences in expansion of the head and block
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    i don't know about nm but it's 22 foot pounds and 90 degrees, then another 90 degrees, it's not good to over torque these bolts because they will break as they are designed to have a certain amount of elasticity to deal with the differences in expansion of the head and block
    Take your point. Wouldnt be a good move to wreck the head for the sake of a new set of bolts. Got a new set on way together with a torque wrench complete with accuracy cert. I'm sure the bolts that came out originally didnt have washers under them. But I just noticed real.oem do show them. Assume this is to spread the loading. Any advice on which is correct plse?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    Take your point. Wouldnt be a good move to wreck the head for the sake of a new set of bolts. Got a new set on way together with a torque wrench complete with accuracy cert. I'm sure the bolts that came out originally didnt have washers under them. But I just noticed real.oem do show them. Assume this is to spread the loading. Any advice on which is correct plse?
    If you're asking whether washers are supposed to be present, the answer is yes. Rather than the dealer (if its a PITA) you might try to get them at a fastener shop. Just make sure they aren't el' cheapos as they take quite the load.

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default washers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    If you're asking whether washers are supposed to be present, the answer is yes. Rather than the dealer (if its a PITA) you might try to get them at a fastener shop. Just make sure they aren't el' cheapos as they take quite the load.

Dave
    Thanks Dave, Thats just what I wanted to know