GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Audi A4

Default OT: Audi A4

Hey guys, does anyone in here know much about them? Better yet personal experiiences would help. My buddy might be selling his 99 A4 1.8t quattro with a shade over 100k on it. Its silver with a black interior, 5-speed. Not the best cosmetically, has a few dents and some ******* at his work hit his rear bumper so hes getting that replaced. I think he would give it to me for $5500 which I think is a good deal. Just had a recent timing belt and water pump done and new control arms up front and a new cv joint. So its good for a while with all the major ****. Im just concerned at how reliable this thing will be. He bought it with 82k on it and has never had a real problem. He wants to sell for a toyota FJ.
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

ummm no, please no. From what I heard a lot of those A4s and poorer cousin Passat couldn't be given away. Go to msn.com and check on reliability report to be sure. I was looking at those too before. I heard they are very nice, until you have to spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by markus
    Im just concerned at how reliable this thing will be.
    Run away from it as fast as you can.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

What the heck's this about reliability problems on an A4?

I learned to drive in my dads '98 A4, which ran to a shade under 290k miles before he sold it for US$8k, having never spent any money on it other than servicing/tyres and replaced the exhaust once in that period...

Being quite honest, I thought it drove better than both of my E34s, though it did have the sports suspension pack on it.

Nope, you'll be sorry. Unreliable chunk of crap that is impossible to sell when you finally learn your lesson.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

awaiting Jon K, he knows a bit about them i believe.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

From what I heard, Audi almost went under because of those late 90s A4s. Their reputation among Audi owners were greatly damaged, but somehow not too many outside the circle knew about it.

Follow this link and read the reviews long term owners, some of the people who own these for only 1 yr seem happy....

http://autos.msn.com/research/userre...px?modelid=109

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret

I learned to drive in my dads '98 A4, which ran to a shade under 290k miles before he sold it for US$8k, having never spent any money on it other than servicing/tyres and replaced the exhaust once in that period...

Being quite honest, I thought it drove better than both of my E34s, though it did have the sports suspension pack on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret

you got very lucky, i like audi's but am deathly scared of them second hand, especially from that era.

Quote Originally Posted by txp135
    From what I heard, Audi almost went under because of those late 90s A4s. Their reputation among Audi owners were greatly damaged, but somehow not too many outside the circle knew about it.

Follow this link and read the reviews long term owners, some of the people who own these for only 1 yr seem happy....

http://autos.msn.com/research/userre...px?modelid=109

I'm shocked you guys think of Audi's like this, I've not heard one person ever be scared of buying an Audi over here, they're well respected and never 'nearly went under' here, being one of the strongest car manufacturers, many people much prefer audi's over the bimmers cos they're seen as not having that 'bad driver' edge.

The users on that MSN link have given the car 86% which I'd say is pretty damned good... especially when if you put the E39 next to it, it only gets 89%...

People fight over A2's and A3's in this country :o

We don't have A2's and A3's from that era here. All we have are A4's, 6's, and 8's with scary eletrical problems and problematic front suspensions that require regular replacement.

And this is in Canada, where awd is very welcome in the snow.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast