GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever strip wheels?

Default Anyone ever strip wheels?

I am refinishing my rondells. They are being VERY stubborn as far as stripping them goes. Has anyone ever stripped wheels? Recommend me a GOOD (proven) stripper!

I hear that 'aircraft stripper' available at autobody supply shops is the stuff. Couldn't say if it works on wheels or not. If they are powdercoated, I might guess not. If painted, likely it will work. Might ask at the supply shop.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Aircraft stripper blows. Everyone recommends it, yet 9/10 times people have never tried it for what they are recommending it for. Jon, I have used this really expensive, really toxic stripper for wheels before. It'll cut through anything without damaging the metal, but it isnt cheap at $40+ per gallon. If you want me to find out what it is I can. A large rubber bin with this stuff diluted with water, let each wheel soak for an hour or so, then spray with a pressure washer (or wipe the paint off with a rag, but I prefer clean surfaces). Then of course you need to dry, clean, and sand out any imperfections in the wheels, etc, etc.
    Last edited by MPD47; 06-04-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Oh and DO NOT get it on your skin, of course

Jon, When i redid a set of style 5's about a year ago I stubled upon Peel Away 3 at Home depot. I had bought this stuff to strip the paint off of my kitchen cabinets and had some left, so i tried it on the wheels. Amazing stuff. You spread it over the wheels and let it sit for like 6 hours, then you can wipe all the paint right off, the paint actually peels right off, without damaging the aluminum(i polished the lips). You can even use it indoors, it does not give off fumes and says it safe for indoor use. Its a little pricey, like $14/qt, but well worth it

Did anyone try it on Chromed wheels? I am getting a set of rare MB wheels that has peeling chrome.

I don't know what is under my wheels - maybe its an etching primer or somethig, I am not sure.

see the white **** under there?

the white **** is probably epoxy primer, most of my paint stripping projects involve some sort of spray stripper like aircraft stripper or bulldog, but i can't remember trying it on wheels, the only thing that AS hasn't done for me is touch that crusty **** under the paint on c bmw valve covers, that ****'s insidious
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Did anyone try it on Chromed wheels? I am getting a set of rare MB wheels that has peeling chrome.
    You can not use any paint stripper on chrome. Chrome is chemically bonded onto the metal.

You have to take it to a chrome place that will dechrome it. It can take up to 2 weeks to dechrome since they put it into a chemical acid that is diluted so it won't damage the actual wheel itself.

I've got the same primer on my style 32s, just been taking a dremel sander to them after stripping as much as I could off with sanding + aircraft stripper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast