GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what does this key do?

Default what does this key do?

i have the following key, its from a 1995 520i executive model bmw e34. my car immobilised itself for some reason....i only got this one key when i bought the car so im looking for someone to tell me what this key does. my car doesnt start at all, wont turn over, but all the lights will come on when i turn the key in the ignition. the little led on the remote does NOT flash when i press the buttons, its not the battery so i dont know. ive tried instialising it, but still no led light. does the chip inside this key make the car start? i think the chip could be damaged which is making my car not start...any help would be excellent. thanks

1995 m50 520i executive

The 95s do have a chip in the key that the ignition has to recognize for the car to start. If thats not working you will get all the lights when you turn the key on but it will not crank over.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

yes, i believe 12/94 BMW started using ewsII which will imobilize your car if the key is isn't chipped. Whats your production date?

1995 BMW 530ia/3.15lsd/M Parallels/Eibach/Bilstien/Magnaflow

Quote Originally Posted by Boone.Msi
    yes, i believe 12/94 BMW started using ewsII which will imobilize your car if the key is isn't chipped. Whats your production date?
    just dropped the car off to the dealer, will probobly cost me a fortune. he thinks it might be the ews computer. and to fix it, may cost up to $2500...bugger!
    1995 m50 520i executive

Remove the car from there as soon as possible. Just let them do a diagnosis, ask them for a detailed print out of the fault codes, take the car and run away.
    Then ask here on the forum who has such parts, if really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Remove the car from there as soon as possible. Just let them do a diagnosis, ask them for a detailed print out of the fault codes, take the car and run away.
    Then ask here on the forum who has such parts, if really needed.
    RUN AWAY!!!!!!

Car Info is HERE

What town are you in? One of the other aussies here may have some local guys that they can recommend.

Default I had the exact same key...

for my e46 (1999) and it was just my everyday key. When i pressed the button the red light would come on so r u sure its not the battery? Is the remote locking working? It does work on a ship but i would imagine if you got the key with the car it should be chipped?

Take the advice and dont get the dealer to do it - check it out yourself first, you can always go back if you need to.

Let us know how you get on.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Oh and i only got the one key with my e46 when i bought that - i went in to check how much a new key would be (chipped an all) and they said £90 so check this out as well...
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

look on your door sill, a production date will clear alot of things up, and help us determine whether it is ews related or not. Pick the car up, Get a new remote battery, write down your production date, then report back to us.

1995 BMW 530ia/3.15lsd/M Parallels/Eibach/Bilstien/Magnaflow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast