GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Foglight adjustment?

Default Foglight adjustment?

Hey guys.

I installed my new front foglights, got them working and all (no thanks to you guys )

My question is, how "should" these be adjusted. Pointing up, down, center?

I have checked the forum + Bruno's site, and there seems to be nothing on this subject. How do you guys go about this?

I'm not really planning just to use them for fog (although they will come in handy for just that), but mainly as support for the lowbeams, which we all know aren't the most powerful lights on the road ...

Straight ahead... you gotta do this at night time with headlight off parking light on so you can turn on foglight.... so you can see the aim.

Great.

Thanks.

Just tried adjusting the angle of the foglights, and I can't seem to get them to point higher than my ankles! Surely this isn't the idea? The lights sit nicely in an angle that matches the bumper (more or less), so I guess thats about right.

Even worse, it seems that I've ruined the thread on the plastic thingy that the adjustment screw goes into, trying to get them higher. What a p.o.s.! They're Depo, probably not the most expensive brand, but I've seen it around the board from time to time. But now the lights won't go any higher than "ankle height"...

All in all, I'm getting the feeling, that people just have them for cosmetic purposes. Yes, they look cool, but when sitting in the car I see absolutely NO difference between on and off. They were intended to give the headlamps an extra push, but now I sort if feel like an *******.

BUUUUUUUUUUUMP!

I really want to know if you guys actually use your foglights for lighting or just for show?

(Also, you may reply on the ******* part)

Preparation H does feel good on the whole.

Mine are cracked freeforms covered in black lamin-x so I have nothing to contribute as far as focus.

but danielsternlighting has a decent write up on fog light aiming.

It shines about 20 or 30 feet ahead of the car... starting at the bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by NielsGalan
    Just tried adjusting the angle of the foglights, and I can't seem to get them to point higher than my ankles! Surely this isn't the idea? The lights sit nicely in an angle that matches the bumper (more or less), so I guess thats about right.
    Ankle-high is about right at least judging by my factory fogs.

Having actually used them in some pretty nasty fog in Germany, I can see why they rigged the lighting system to work with just fogs on. Having the light shine on the road, just off the surface, really keeps the light from spilling(reflecting) back to you off the fog (blinding you). My '03 Sable is wired for the fogs to only come on with the low beams. Go figure.

I hate to think how much power I eat up by running all three sets of lights (fogs, low, and high beams) while running above 100mph at night. It is the best way to see what is ahead of you but I miss having four high beams like in the older American light setup. They seemed to really reach out and touch things.

I wouldn't sweat having the fogs project a pattern that is only a foot high at 20 feet out from the front of the car. Just aim them to show a pattern that extends to the gutters on both sides of the street so you can tell you are heading out of your lane in the nasty fog.

Brian