GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Stupid engine problem solved...

Default Stupid engine problem solved...

The 540 started running rough when stuck in traffic. You could feel the engine shaking and it felt like it was missing on a couple of cylinders or there was some fueling problem. I had a look a couple of days back and couln't find anything wrong, plugs all looked good and there wasn't any obvious which might be the cause. Had the hood up and gave the engine bay a quick clean and then found the cause...... a missing blade on the radiator fan. I didn't think think this was the rough running/ engine shake problem at first, I just thought ' oh great, something else to fix. Removed said part and problem cured.
    Now to find a replacement fan.

Cheers

This is spooky... fan blades breaking apart? Sounds like all of us need to change the blade before catastrophe... seems to be age related rather than mileage. I think this is the third case I heard on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    This is spooky... fan blades breaking apart? Sounds like all of us need to change the blade before catastrophe... seems to be age related rather than mileage. I think this is the third case I heard on this forum.
    Could this be a problem while driving long distances at 100mph?

I guess I should roll the car out into the sunshine and give the fan a stout looking after...

Brian

Default Under hood plastic bits

All of the plastics parts, at least the ones that had ANYTHING to do with the cooling system, under the hood of my '95 began crumbling to bits. I paid a small fortune to get everything replaced last summer, I still wonder if I should have traded it in on 3.5 Liter Altima!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    All of the plastics parts, at least the ones that had ANYTHING to do with the cooling system, under the hood of my '95 began crumbling to bits. I paid a small fortune to get everything replaced last summer, I still wonder if I should have traded it in on 3.5 Liter Altima!
    It is these kinds age-related failures that make me want to sell my beast for something ten years younger. Add in some lust for a V-8 and you have a recepie for some car shopping!

Brian

Speed has no bearing as the fan clutch will not allow engine fan to speed up beyond certain RPM... so it is definitley age related.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Speed has no bearing as the fan clutch will not allow engine fan to speed up beyond certain RPM... so it is definitley age related.
    Unless the clutch is seized, which will allow it to spin up the fan to redline.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

The plastic fan shroud had started to crumble at the edges,fan isn't too bad.

If that happens, you really can hear it... sounds like a turbine engine.