GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Urgent help needed - leaking fuel

Default Urgent help needed - leaking fuel

Went to change the fuel filter today, and noticed a puddle of fuel under the car behind the rear driver side wheel. Its dripping out, about a drip every few seconds, but seems to be getting worse.

Took the wheel off and the dirt cover and could see what looks like an extension tank (clear) with two rubber hoses coming out the bottom. Joined to one of the rubber hoses is a thin metal pipe which goes down and along the front of the fuel tank across the car - just past the middle of the car and then seems to go into the tank. There is a shield of some sort which makes some of it difficult to see, but i can feel it when under the car. The leak is at the joint where the rubber hose joins to the metal pipe. The pipe looks rusty at the joint and about an inch below.

What should i do, ive bought some rubber hose and want to use it to extend the rubber hose over the corroded part of the metal pipe - but dont know how to go about this with the fuel leaking out of it etc? I am thinking it is a return pipe as it odesnt lead to the fuel filter but i wouldn't be 100% on this.

Please Help!!!!!!!!
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Went to change the fuel filter today, and noticed a puddle of fuel under the car behind the rear driver side wheel. Its dripping out, about a drip every few seconds, but seems to be getting worse.

Took the wheel off and the dirt cover and could see what looks like an extension tank (clear) with two rubber hoses coming out the bottom. Joined to one of the rubber hoses is a thin metal pipe which goes down and along the front of the fuel tank across the car - just past the middle of the car and then seems to go into the tank. There is a shield of some sort which makes some of it difficult to see, but i can feel it when under the car. The leak is at the joint where the rubber hose joins to the metal pipe. The pipe looks rusty at the joint and about an inch below.

What should i do, ive bought some rubber hose and want to use it to extend the rubber hose over the corroded part of the metal pipe - but dont know how to go about this with the fuel leaking out of it etc? I am thinking it is a return pipe as it odesnt lead to the fuel filter but i wouldn't be 100% on this.

Please Help!!!!!!!!
    Plastic or metal fuel tank?

I'm looking up the realoem parts and I've no idea which tank you've got...

Point it out on here?

You can plug the hose with a golf tee or something similar while you work. Expect a significant spill though as everything towards the motor will come back when you disconnect.
    Cut the rusted section off with a small tubing cutter so the flakes don't corrupt your FI system.
    I like to enjoy a nice cigar while doing this.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret

Point it out on here?
    I cant see the picture it says its not allowed for something? It feels like a plastic fuel tank! Thanks - if you give me a link i'll go there and see what line it is many thanks.

Just been to realoem.com, they had the same diagrams in the stealer - but even they didn't know what it was! Looks like number 3 on the diagram when you follow the link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=16&fg=05

...but it shouldn'e really have fuel leaking from it if its a ventilation hose should it? Im at a loss..

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Just been to realoem.com, they had the same diagrams in the stealer - but even they didn't know what it was! Looks like number 3 on the diagram when you follow the link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=16&fg=05

...but it shouldn'e really have fuel leaking from it if its a ventilation hose should it? Im at a loss..
    I *think* that's the vent return hose, IE it's what any fuel drains back down into the tank from.

Trouble is, it's entering at the bottom of the tank which means you're gonna have to drain the tank to replace that little piece of rubber hose. You should be okay though, so long as you dont switch on the ignition while the tank's empty and run the pump while dry.

If you cant get access to a siphon to drain the tank, I'd put a bowl under it at night to catch the leaking fuel, then use it on a daily basis until the fuel warning lamp comes on... that way you're only going to have a small amount to drain when you need to do the work.

Dont forget you'll need a fair bit in the tank with a 535 once you've done the repair, to get it to the nearest petrol station.

Default Things have taken a turn for the worse...

I think you were right there about the pipe, but it was the metal pipe that had corroded not the rubber. Ended up leaking BAD so tried to undo the clip that attaches the rubber to the metal and broke the metal pipe about 10" in. Goes without sayin i had a bucket underneath and a LOT of fuel came out.

I have plugged the hole with a screw and took off the rubber. Im now going to try and replace the rubber hose with a longer one - just taking a break from the fumes.

Its going to be a quick switch for the rubber and the screw a i filled up the car last night - typical. A good few litres have already poured out though.

The joys of car ownership

Wish me luck...

I had the same problem a few months ago, when the metal pipe running alongside the rear end of my fuel tank got corroded through. I had to send the car to a body shop anyway, so I just ordered the pipe from bmw and had the body shop replace it. It was easy, as they had to take the bumper off anyway.

It's pretty nasty to see fuel puddles under your BMW. It's just not right.

Default Sorted...

the leak, got the rubber pipe on in the end. Two of me fuel lines and the breather look toast so i think this'll only be a temporary fix!

Get back to do the whole lot when i have time... That should be fun!

Thanks guys.