GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Oil Thread - sorry

Default Yet Another Oil Thread - sorry

Ok..
    So I've been reading through the archives as I'm coming up on my next oil change and I want to try something different (i.e. go synthetic).

The consensus on the board seems to be Mobil 1 is the way to go.. or rather - you can't go wrong.. even if it is a bit more than conventional oil. Ok.. I buy that.. I've been using Mobil 1 in all of my other cars for years.

Now the issue I've seen has been around the weight of the oil. The most common ones I've seen are:
    0W40
    5w30
    15w50

It seems to me that any of those should be fine, I'm just curious why some of you chose one weight over the other - if there is a reason beyond just the fact that others have used that weight with no problems.

The second part of my question is that I went to the Mobil 1 website and there's a function where you can find out what the best oil is for YOUR car. (Based on the engine, the mileage, and the temperature range that you'll be driving in.) Based on that site - the recommended oil for my car is the Mobil 1 High Mileage in 10w40. But it's a bitch to find around here.. (note: it's not to be confused with the "Mobil Clean High Mileage" which is not a synthetic, but instead the full synthetic Mobil 1 High Mileage). One thing about this oil is that Mobil only makes the High Mileage version in 10w30 and 10w40 - that may be why they recomment that, as it's the closest to what would be ideal. So maybe 0w40 in the standard M1 oil is better. I've got 138k miles on my car at the moment.

- Rick

FWIW - I felt the discussion here might be worth bringing up since it's specifically about the weight of the oil, and the Mobil 1 High Mileage I believe is relatively new on the market... So please don't flame
    1990 535i - 5 spd - Red on black - LSD
    Mods: EAT chip, Sachs Sports Kit, Racing King Subframe Inserts, staggered M-Parallels (replicas) with BFGoodrich g-Force Sports.

Even 0W40 is hard to find. Non existent in my area. If I were you, I'd buy Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W40 at Wallmart. They have gallon container for $16... which comes to $4 a quart.

Don't care about high mileage thing... it is a joke to me as all the cars I owned are over 100,000 miles. easily.

Yeah, my initial reaction to the whole "High Mileage" thing was that it was a solution looking for a problem. In other words a gimmick for the oil companies to sell more oil.

I didn't mention how much trouble I had finding that Mobil 1 High Mileage I mentioned - I spent the better part of Tuesday (had a day off from work to change the oil) looking for it. I checked every AutoZone, and independant parts store within a 15 mile radius of my house - including also WalMart and K-mart - the M1 HM is apparently made of Unobtanium. I would think the 0W40 standard M1 would be slightly easier to find.. although you're right - I may not find it most places.

In the end I didn't change my oil. I'm actually in PA today and going to try Pep Boys and see if they have any richer stocks of Mobil 1. May end up just getting the 5qt jugs from Walmart of the 5w30 for $23.62 (about $4.73 a quart)
    Mods: EAT chip, Sachs Sports Kit, Racing King Subframe Inserts, staggered M-Parallels (replicas) with BFGoodrich g-Force Sports.

10w40 is hard for me to find as well, but it's what i use. Usually Pennzoil or Castrol.

10W40 synthetic? I don't think it exist...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    10W40 synthetic? I don't think it exist...
    The Mobil 1 High Mileage comes in 10w40 - as far as I know it's the only flavor of Mobil 1 full synthetic that comes in that weight.

For my 3.2 e30 my shop said to use 25w50, do to the abuse I will put it through, that being said I use a slightly higher weight than recomended for my 5 for the added protection during hard driving.

it's also a loss of protection in cold weather.

i think bently has chart for oil specifications

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

Default everything comes out 10w40

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo....aspx?option=2

They must have a lot of it around

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

for my 90 535i.. similar miles.. I use 5 qts of Mobil1 15-50.. and 1 qt of Lucas oil stabilizer.

get the Molbil 1 from walmart.. $23 for a 5 qt container, and the Lucas at any car store (ie kragen)

I used to run a lighter oil, but tapping noise was too much.. need something a little heavier. 15-50 is perfect and the lucas will help with the tapping as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast