GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Source for Style 5 Wheel Studs

Default Source for Style 5 Wheel Studs

Does anyone know of a source for the studs that hold the Style 5's together? During my restoration project I managed to break three of them on reassembly I guess they were weak cuz 30lbs of torque just sheared them right off.

There is a source here in Winston-Salem that sells splined studs that will fit, but after all of the work put into these I'd rather have the matching studs. As a last resort I suppose I'll try and find a trashed Style 5 for parts on the bay.

Several of the wheel restorers on the net were of no help for either Style 5 or BBS RS bolts. BBS nor the $tealer are of help, either.

Thanks in advance!

John
    '95 540iA ~212k

try here

Thanks! I'll give them a call.
    '95 540iA ~212k

Well, it's a big, fat "nyet" on Style 5 studs from HRP. If anyone has a FUBARed Style 5 they're willing to disassemble or sell whole to me, I'd appreciate it.
    '95 540iA ~212k

Not sure exactly what style 5 studs look like but I got studs,hi-tensile-for my BBS porsche944t wheels from,dont laugh, Radio Shack,they were for holding military radio containers together,How many studs per wheel ?

I'm not laughing. Whatever works, I say. The dude from HRP suggested grade 8 bolts so I'll go get some of those with washers and give them a try. The Style 5 wheel has 34 splined bolts holding the center to the barrel, with 12 pt. nuts on the underside. They look great when polished up but they are a bear to clean!

BTW, how long ago did you get the bolts at the Shack? I may try there.
    '95 540iA ~212k

Ha! I found some.

http://www.wheelcollision.com/ has them. Normally they don't sell just bolts, but Ed there says his shipment from Germany was doubled and he'd love to get rid of some. $2 each and they are chrome plated. A bit longer than the factory bolts, but hopefully not enough to make much of a difference. He didn't have the matching nuts, but a good grade 8 is easy to come by.

John
    '95 540iA ~212k

I've bought similar bolts before for some BBS RS. I would go for the stainless option. The chrome parts I bought from Germany were not that great, chrome wise. If these wheel are keepers and you want them looking hot, I personally would only buy stainless now.

I'd get the stainless if I could find them. I'd just finished polishing all of the bolts for these wheels to bring back the shine, as they were looking pretty ratty. I'm taking it to Chicago today and needed the replacements ASAP. BBS won't sell to end users. I suppose I could get a wheel repair shop to order the stainless ones when I get back.

These wheels are definitely keepers and I will be on the lookout for a full set of replacement bolts.

John
    '95 540iA ~212k

I'm a BBS rep and should be able to source you the bolts and nuts. They aren't usually cheap but "should" be available still. You only need 3? send me a PM.