GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windshield replacement, insurance...

Default Windshield replacement, insurance...

I called my insurance(nationwide) for a claim on my cracked windshield.

The claim processor asked me where I would like to replace it. I gave her the nearest bmw dealer and would like OE replacement windshield. Then she disclosed to me that in that case, they would only cover up to $285 before deductible. In my case, that means the max they would pay is $35($250 deductible). This sounds pretty wrong don't you guys think?

I proceed to tell her that sounds really wrong because I paid insurance for a BMW, I should be able to get OE parts replacement. Then she said something along the line that if it costs more than $285 it has to be authorized blah blah blah. I asked her would it be so complicated if I go through one of their shop. She replied that I'd have to wait for them to order OE windshield, which I was fine with.

The company's name that is going to replace the windshield is SafeLite. Anyone has experience with them?

How will I able to tell that the windshield is OE?

I've heard that sometimes the trim around the windshield has to be replaced, this is why I prefer to go to the dealer instead.

the trim around the windshield will break when you take it off, and its not cheap for a new one, alot of windscreen places will use a generic rubber one, it looks okay, just not original or as solid.
    Id be making sure that both the glass AND trim get ordered.
    11/88 535iA

Safelite is a bogus cheapo brand. Insist on OEM. Read your policy carefully, I'm guessing it's not spelled out.
    Insurers have been in trouble of late over specifying cheesy crash parts, most of the better companies have backed off on doing it.
    Stand your ground. They will try to get away with as much as they can.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thank you guys. But how do I tell if the windshield and the trim are oe?

Safelight is known to use thin and optically "imperfect" products. Stay away from.
    Also the OE trim can cost about $300 regardless of the windshield installed. It may or may not break when removed. There are also some sort of spacer clips/retainers that (I believe) position the windshield correctly and hold it above the body as the mastic/glue dries. Yes, the windshield is glued in.

When I had a OE windhshield installed the installer made a big deal of the clips and they did reuse the moldings. MY BMW dealer, with a body shop, has specific installers they use. I doubt if the local dealer does the windshileds themselves.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

the windshield will have a BMW logo on it. Not sure about the trim.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Went through the same deal with my '88 E34 last year.

After much hassling with assessors etc, they approved a genuine BMW screen. The guy who fitted it was able to re-use the mouldings & clips.

In Oz, dealers are apparently no longer able to fit screens themselves - they told me they use the same company that fitted mine - O'Briens.

Interestingly went through the same process with my sister's '00 E240T the other day, but with a different insurance company. She needed a rainsensor screen but her insurance company would not cough for a genuine screen - insisted on a locally produced one.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

State Farm does not pay for OEM glass anymore. I just had mine done with aftdrmarket glass. Insurance on my car is not that much - I can see State Farms point, as the value of the car decreases so would be their investment.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Imperfect? How can you tell? I got Safelite windshield... how do you tell on optically imperfect windshield?

OE windshield is made by Sigla... it wouls say Sigla on the windshield. If it is Safelite, it would say like a bunch of mumble jumbles on the square label. Alot of insurance does not pay for OE glass anymore. Most insurance use 89glass.com for their service.

Ask to see the windshield before you sign any paper.

Interesting though... a couple of years ago. I was shopping for windshield for my MB... Safelite was cheaper than 89glass and all others by nearly $80... now they are $105 more than all others. On your car... Safelite is $30 more than others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast