GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Pitman Arm Replacement

Default Rear Pitman Arm Replacement

I noticed one of the bushings on the drivers side rear Pitman Arms is shot. These are the ones that look like dog bones. How diffficult of a job is this to change? I figure I would just change out the whole unit rather than just the bushing.

Default Pretty easy

they come as a complete part, bushings etc. Just need to replace two lock nuts.

Put the car up on stands, support the trailing arm with a jack and remove the nuts and bolts. You'll need to move the trailing arm up/down and even side to side to align the new dogbones on the bolts.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bob; 05-29-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Also search archives. There may still be pictures etc. Easy job as BMW jobs go.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner
    I noticed one of the bushings on the drivers side rear Pitman Arms is shot. These are the ones that look like dog bones. How diffficult of a job is this to change? I figure I would just change out the whole unit rather than just the bushing.
    Easy as.

Get Lemfoerders from BMA would be my advice.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Well my next question is. I just found the procedure in the Bentley manual and it states that when installing the bolts with the self locking nuts tighten the bolts to the final torque with the car on the ground and loaded. GREAT TRICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you get under the car to tighten the bolts with the car off the jack stands? This doesn't look all that easy!!! Also I searched the archives for an hour this afternoon and could't come up with any procedure for replacement or pictures.

Well my next question is. I just found the procedure in the Bentley manual and it states that when installing the bolts with the self locking nuts tighten the bolts to the final torque with the car on the ground and loaded. GREAT TRICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you get under the car to tighten the bolts with the car off the jack stands? This doesn't look all that easy!!! Also I searched the archives for an hour this afternoon and could't come up with any procedure for replacement or pictures.
    When I did mine, I interpreted Bentley as saying that as well - so I reversed mine onto stands on a hill, loaded the car & tightened them. Do a search if you want to read the discussion at the time.

Outcome : There is no need to tighten dog bones under load.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Default ramps or just

reach under. I can do it and I am a 6 foot wookie.

bob is correct... and jeff even torques control arms with the car on the ground (if he's had less than 24 beers)
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

OK I get it! One last question. In the diagram I see 2 bolts,2 washers and 1 self locking nut. I would think there would be 2 lock nuts. Looks as though 1 bolt screws into the trailing arm assembly without a locking nut. Is that right? The quanity calls for 2 but I only see one in the diagram.
    http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim...3/ill-33_0223/
    Last edited by 70383roadrunner; 05-29-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Default two nuts

left & right.

the other side is held on with a bolt.

TIP: do the bolt side first, then move the trailing arm to line up the bolt/nut side to the dogbone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast