GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rock steady...

Default rock steady...

on the autobahn today with my 520i at over 205km/h (barely) ...of course there wasn't much left which made me wonder about chipping or sending over my 540

And yes, the passat tdi was pulling away from me ...but then again I was a bit concerned about my fuel cost was it was 100€ to full the other day ( state side 135USD)
    [COLOR=Blue]95 540i/a schwarz with wheels and tint garaged in OR SOLD
    98 volvoXC three kid seats...makes it go faster

[COLOR="Purple"]95 520i/5sp 130k km Executive. no sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyturbo2002
    on the autobahn today with my 520i at over 205km/h (barely) ...of course there wasn't much left which made me wonder about chipping or sending over my 540

And yes, the passat tdi was pulling away from me ...but then again I was a bit concerned about my fuel cost was it was 100€ to full the other day ( state side 135USD)
    That's pretty respectable considering the size difference between the two cars...

Those new turbo diesels hold their own pretty well on the autobahn. Their torque advantage helps them get back up to speed faster with less drama than our cars.

The tire guy I use has to keep changing out the rear tires on his father's 535TDI due to wheel spin in town from all of that torque.

The best I've done with my 525 auto is 220kph (with the wind ) but it is chipless and has 235's on the 18" rims and a body kit. I figure without the kit and with the stock-sized snows I could get more but who cares? I would rather be driving around corners than just burning straight down the road.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bsell
    That's pretty respectable considering the size difference between the two cars...

Those new turbo diesels hold their own pretty well on the autobahn. Their torque advantage helps them get back up to speed faster with less drama than our cars.

The tire guy I use has to keep changing out the rear tires on his father's 535TDI due to wheel spin in town from all of that torque.

The best I've done with my 525 auto is 220kph (with the wind ) but it is chipless and has 235's on the 18" rims and a body kit. I figure without the kit and with the stock-sized snows I could get more but who cares? I would rather be driving around corners than just burning straight down the road.

Brian
    Yeah no kidding, One the way I had to go through some back roads where there were a few corners and being used to the Volvo (read ..whoa tilt!!) I was very pleased by the feel I was getting in the bimmer...nice and snug.
    Of course, some 17's or bigger with a lower profile tire would be great but alas..three kids and a wife take precidence..

Hey, guys, what's up?
    That was not max speed. The Euro version of the 520 with the M50B20 engine has a Vmax of 211 kmh, and that is info from the factory.
    http://www.e34.de/e34/leistung.htm

So, it should be a bit faster I assume.

Yes, and for sure the Passat TDI will pass you. I had one last time in Germany from EUROPCAR from Frankfurt to Hamburg and back to FFM Airport, so a long Autobahn trip in Germany.
    Very low diesel consumption and a nice high speed.
    The V6 TDI has 132 kW = 180 HP as most powerful Passat diesel ever – but fuel consumption is only 7.6 l/100 km.
    the 'normal' TDI has 120 kW (163 bhp)
    Maximum torque of 370 Nm (V6 TDI) at an engine speed of only 1500/min. The top speed of the Passat saloon with V6 TDI engine is an impressive 226 km/h; the Variant estate car reaches 223 km/h. Other performance data are just as impressive, for instance acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in only 8.7 seconds (Variant: 8.9 seconds).

The fastest I'd gotten my stock 525i auto was 230kmph indicated. I think that's the limiter anyway? Not that it had much more in it.

I'm looking at an EAT chip anyway, so will see if it makes any difference.

Old car: 95 525i, OB/Silver, Eibachs, Style 66, Missed dearly!!
    VIN Decoder | Online ETK
    | E34 Bible

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Hey, guys, what's up?
    That was not max speed. The Euro version of the 520 with the M50B20 engine has a Vmax of 211 kmh, and that is info from the factory.
    http://www.e34.de/e34/leistung.htm

So, it should be a bit faster I assume.

Yes, and for sure the Passat TDI will pass you. I had one last time in Germany from EUROPCAR from Frankfurt to Hamburg and back to FFM Airport, so a long Autobahn trip in Germany.
    Very low diesel consumption and a nice high speed.
    The V6 TDI has 132 kW = 180 HP as most powerful Passat diesel ever – but fuel consumption is only 7.6 l/100 km.
    Maximum torque of 370 Nm (V6 TDI) at an engine speed of only 1500/min. The top speed of the Passat saloon with V6 TDI engine is an impressive 226 km/h; the Variant estate car reaches 223 km/h. Other performance data are just as impressive, for instance acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in only 8.7 seconds (Variant: 8.9 seconds).

What happened was nerve..36 years old now and images of death are closer than they used to be at 18-30... The next BMW that I want will be the 740td...that is an autobahn burner, and big enough for the whole dorf!

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Maximum torque of 370 Nm (V6 TDI) at an engine speed of only 1500/min.
    Sounds like an awesome car shogun! I'd love a chance to drive (at any speed) on the autobahn. The closest I've been to driving on an autobahn is being a 12 year old passenger in a tricked out E21 on a Swiss Autobahn (I believe they are a little more restricted than their more northern cousins) and I distinctly remember some sort of Porsche driving in the opposite direction at an excessive speed. I couldn't even see what Porsche it was, and I nearly broke my neck just trying to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by t.wak
    The fastest I'd gotten my stock 525i auto was 230kmph indicated.
    Where abouts did you find a place to drive so fast?

If say on a whim i wanted to ship my LHD 540 over to Europe to drive the various motorsport lures there Can i drive it in Britain thru the Chunnel and onto the Continent or would i need to have it delivered to a LHD Country? Anyone ever do this round trip, loose schedule? Any idea of who a reliable freghter for such a thing would be?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    If say on a whim i wanted to ship my LHD 540 over to Europe to drive the various motorsport lures there Can i drive it in Britain thru the Chunnel and onto the Continent or would i need to have it delivered to a LHD Country? Anyone ever do this round trip, loose schedule? Any idea of who a reliable freghter for such a thing would be?
    I have never been to the UK, nor have I ever shipped a vehicle to any other place in the world, so take my words with a grain of salt. Having said that...

Even though the UK is a RHD country, it is legal to drive LHD cars there. The Chunnel does allow cars to be transported from the UK to Continental Europe and back again -- in fact heaps of British automobile afficionados bring their cars over to do the Nurburg. I wouldn't imagine there be any restriction on bringing cars over to a RHD country if the item in question is a LHD one.

Here in Australia (a RHD country) it is illegal to drive a LHD car except for the following:
    - the car is 30 years or older,
    - has significant signage stating cautionaries that this is a LHD car (as if it was some sort of vermin and that you need to keep away)

IMO this is ridiculous, however having said that, it is still legal to import a LHD car or ship it to our country. As far as things are concerned, you are just shipping a car, and whether it is LHD or RHD is irrelevant. You just won't be able to drive it on the road here, that's all I would imagine quite a few cars get imported here to Aus for track events and racing, anyway.

So even though our rules here are more stringent than in the UK, there are some leeways. So I would imagine legal-wise you shouldn't have a problem bringing your car over from the States to Europe, whether that be the UK or another country.

Now if i could be sure i could adapt menatlly and not unconsciouly revert in the middle fo the road and "correct" myself into an accident.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast