GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitting a turbo - big job?

Default Fitting a turbo - big job?

Hi there, just wandering whether retro-fitting a turbo is possible on e34 535i sport and is it a big job? What sort of cost are we looking at getting a garage to do it?

Thanks in advance...
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Hi there, just wandering whether retro-fitting a turbo is possible on e34 535i sport and is it a big job? What sort of cost are we looking at getting a garage to do it?

Thanks in advance...
    www.turbochargingdynamics.com is a good place to start. They have a great $600 manifold- trouble is you really must change the ECU as Motronic will not workwith forced induction. Megasquirt is the ideal option, once installed you can chuck the AFM as it replaes it with a MAP sensor which runs from a pipe going to the the intake manifold. Is your motor strong? You will need to check/change the headgasket and get serious head (ARP?) studs, etc etc. www.millerperformancecars.com have a very interesting setup also...
    Last edited by genphreak; 05-28-2007 at 08:58 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Beetos hasn't been on here for a while. He would know for sure.

Just a stab in the dark but I suspect Jon K knows a little about forced induction having run both a supercharger and turbo on his engine.
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

Actually e34.535i.sport , as you're in the UK try and get hold of a copy of Practical Performance Car magazine.

One of the writers -Toby Unna- has fitted a 3.5l to a 3 series BMW and then turbo'd it using scrap yard bits. Works well by all accounts. "Well" being a loosly defined word, naturally.

And welcome to this site, going from your profile you live about 30 miles from me, yet we both use a site based in the states.......
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

The only thing that fits without massive modification is the 745i turbo setup, but you still need oil bits and all. A kit for the car starts probably around $6k not installed. Installation on something like that is like $1000 - $1500. I wouldn't say its a "big deal" but its not an oil change for someone who has never done it. You have to tap the oil pan for oil return, tap the sensor feed for oil feed, fit and intercooler, etc.

I've custom built a supercharger setup which is now replaced with a custom built turbocharger setup. It's not impossible, but you have to know what's going on.

Think a chip may be a more pheasable route for me to take! Thanks!

Omega - Thanks for the message, nice to know some locals on here! This is a great site though dont ya think? I've been reading for a long time and recently began posting since i got my e34. I notice you have an e39, how do you find it? I was considering buying an e39 but the styling of the e34 was too much to resist for me personally. I bet the newer 5 series are a really nice drive.

Nice to meet you anyway, .
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Think a chip may be a more pheasable route for me to take! Thanks!

Omega - Thanks for the message, nice to know some locals on here! This is a great site though dont ya think? I've been reading for a long time and recently began posting since i got my e34. I notice you have an e39, how do you find it? I was considering buying an e39 but the styling of the e34 was too much to resist for me personally. I bet the newer 5 series are a really nice drive.

Nice to meet you anyway, .
    I don't mean this in a rude way, but if your "fall back" is that a chip is more feasible then you should never have considered turbo Then again, if you took a ride in a turbo E34 you wouldn't even waste time thinking about a chip. Not to say that the chips offered (most notably the EAT Chip) are not adequate, it's just that an NA chipped car will never, ever compare what so ever to a forced induction motor. I have single-handedly corrupted several of my local BMW friends minds by giving them rides in my car - it's probably for the best that you stay away from turbo Its one step away from a narcotic!

Save your money.
    Don't waste it on a chip.
    That little bit of (theoretical?) more HP is nothing compared to a forced induction engines.
    But as usual, everything has it's price.
    and more HP cost money, each HP more.

I think a chip would be a good investment because if he ever does move to FI he can surely sell it - but I don't think a person can rationally sit thinking "Hmmm... turbo... or chip." I think the fact that he easily fell back on the chip means he doesn't full understand what he was contemplating to begin with!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast