GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Torque specs needs for the 3 bolts holding the plate under the subframe bushing

Default Torque specs needs for the 3 bolts holding the plate under the subframe bushing

HELP!! - I am installing Bruno's Delrin bushings on my '95 525iT and snapped one of the 13MM headed bolts upon re-installation. Luckily, I was able to back out the snapped bolt fairly easily.

There are two 13MM headed bolts and ome 22MM nut that keep the plate under the subframe bushing. Can anyone please tell me what the torque specs are for these bolts? I did not see a torque spec for these bolts and nut in the Bentley manual.

To snap the bolt, either you are a gorilla or the bolt was duff! Regardless of its useage the max torque of an eight mm bolt(13mm head) is about 31ft/lbs but I would suggest using 25 and loc-tite.You would be shocked at the max torque on smaller bolts unless they are hi-tensile(gr8 in colonies I think),even a .......ian can break a 6mm bolt with little effort.CLEAN the threads and the hole in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Paull-Edwards
    To snap the bolt, either you are a gorilla or the bolt was duff! Regardless of its useage the max torque of an eight mm bolt(13mm head) is about 31ft/lbs but I would suggest using 25 and loc-tite.You would be shocked at the max torque on smaller bolts unless they are hi-tensile(gr8 in colonies I think),even a .......ian can break a 6mm bolt with little effort.CLEAN the threads and the hole in the car.
    Barney, I have a bad habit of snapping bolts at the worse times, either with hand tools or my impact wrench. In this instance, it was my old, reliable Ingersol-Rand 1/2" drive impact wrench that snapped that bolt, but I thought I was safe with it set on its softest setting. I should have known better, but without the torque spec, I was trying to install it quickly. BTW, that bolt appeared to be a Grade 5 bolt. I picked a couple of replacement bolts up today at a local junk yard off a junked BMW 5 series car and finished the job.