GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressing In New Upper Control Arm Bushings

Default Pressing In New Upper Control Arm Bushings

So I used to think Lemforder upper control (thrust) arms with the 750i bushings were the "gold standard" but now it appears the poly-urethane or the M5 bushings are the way to go. If I need to press them in myself then I have a few questions:

1) A "regular" hydraulic press is all that is needed to press them in?

2) Maybe piece of pipe/steel of the proper diameter to engage the outer steel jacket of bushing when pressing in?

3) Is there a particular orientation of the bushing in the control arm or does it just need to be fully seated?

4) Can I get Lemforder control arms with the M5 or the poly-urethane bushings already pressed in?

Thanks

Jim

1) Yes, a regular 20 ton hydraulic press is required.
    2) I would advise that you use tools specifically designed for pressing in bushings. Considering how much pressure you'll be exerting on the part, you can be seriously injured should the piece of pipe split or fly out.
    3) There is a mark on both the bushing and the control arm. The control arm I believe has an arrow. Bushings that have the plastic end-caps have a molded arrow/mark. M5 bushings may be different.
    4) Yes you can. BMA will sell you that package. Their website is www.bmaparts.com You may have to call them to get the M5 bushing combo if its not listed on the website.

HTH

Bav Auto sells a tool for $174.95 to DIY in situ
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

I replaced the bushings without removing the arms completely from the car using this procedure from Gales repair page -

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_26.htm

The bushings came out and went in OK. Some points to keep in mind if you use this method, from my experience -
    1 There is a lot of force involved so do not try to use a weaker bolt or thinner steel in the homemade tool.
    2 Installation took me longer than necessary because the bushings would start to go cocked or crooked in the bore and I kept starting again, until I realized it did not matter - just keep on tightening the nut/bolt and the bushing straightens up as it goes in.

Bill G

Default This tool will do it

for about the same price as what most shops would charge you to press new ones in.

look at #7865

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/ast...all+joint+tool
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bob; 05-30-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I ordered the Lemforder Upper Control Arms with the M5 bushings already pressed in from BMA today. They are not listed on the web page but called and spoke to Pat.
    My 535i shudders pretty bad when braking at 50-60 mph.

Thanks

Jim

now you dont need to worry of your tire is off balance by .005 gram. them 750 bushings would pop on the first hard braking too. I love my M5 bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by JMI
    I ordered the Lemforder Upper Control Arms with the M5 bushings already pressed in from BMA today. They are not listed on the web page but called and spoke to Pat.
    My 535i shudders pretty bad when braking at 50-60 mph.

Thanks

Jim
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    now you dont need to worry of your tire is off balance by .005 gram. them 750 bushings would pop on the first hard braking too. I love my M5 bushings.
    Who made your m5 bushings? I just shopped two sites. One was boge/sachs for $44 the other had Lemforder for $11 and change.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

the ones I got were Lemforders, havent had one dissapointment yet with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Who made your m5 bushings? I just shopped two sites. One was boge/sachs for $44 the other had Lemforder for $11 and change.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Which site is this?

Thanks,
    Sid "who feels like a idiot for paying 90 bucks for 2 at the $tealers"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast