GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Opinion Needed

Default Urgent Opinion Needed

I just removed the first plug and see its a Bosch Platinum 2 and i bought the regular single electrode type. I wanted to ask what others would do. Go ahead and install the OE plugs i have or put this plug back in and go exchange them for the Supers. Not concerned about money just weather the single tabs will lose me anything like gass mileage. Is the idea of the two prong design less chance of ignition failure? Also how does the old plug look? Kind of seems to have a whiteish tan grey crust I'm off to chek that plug site. Answer asap if you can we have rain forecast to begin in a few hours and i'd like to get 'er done before that. Thanks.

Last edited by Jehu; 05-27-2007 at 12:16 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

use bosch copper plugs... platinum plugs are not good performers in the M60

whitish tan crust sounds like oil burning... check a spark plug site for photos and reference
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Plug looks fine, but possibly a hair too hot.

http://opc.mr2oc.com/online_parts_ca...park_plugs.jpg

Car Info is HERE

Well interesting. If the plats run too hot maybe i should use the coppers i have.

It'd still be a help to hear opinions on weather to put another set of platinum 2's in or use the OE Coppers i already have. I can exchange these tomorrow if i learn there is an advantage beyond perhaps longer life. I'll be checking out the heat ratings of each in the meantime. The suggestion these may be running hot i assume was due to the little bit of browning of the ceramic visible meaning a cooler plug would dissipate heat better which is better for the engine so if the coppers are cooler i'd go with them even if the change interval is shorter since these are really very easy to change.

If its of any help,we are doing a power run up on a 5 valve Apfelbeck BMW motor soon but in past times our experience is that Champion simple copper plugs work , fire bad mixes and burn clean. Platinum plugs last longer and do help emissions on oily engines,but if you check plugs regularly, keep it simple and cheap.The most powerful F1 engine ever (BMW) used old fashioned copper plugs, good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Paull-Edwards
    .The most powerful F1 engine ever (BMW) used old fashioned copper plugs, good enough?
    Interesting anecdote. Where's that from? I have been happy with the performance so far and was just concerned i don't give up anything by using the copper plugs. Were the Platinum plugs we have today even around in 1995 when they built these 540's? Like i said If the only benefit of the Platinum is an extended change interval at about double the cost i can use these coppers with peace of mind. I suppose i may be investing more impact on performance in spark plugs than they really have. Imagining i might feel less pep or see a drop in MPG on my OBC is really what agitates my uncertainty although i have to say in my uneducated view having the two electrodes on either side of the tip would seem to be a better design than having one covering the tip. Just seems like the free and open end in the chamber is a better geometry as far as allowing the spark and fuel/air mixture to meet and do their thing.
    Last edited by Jehu; 05-28-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Whitish tan is a-okay, the tan is from gas additives. Use the plug BM recommends.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Paull-Edwards
    If its of any help,we are doing a power run up on a 5 valve Apfelbeck BMW motor soon but in past times our experience is that Champion simple copper plugs work , fire bad mixes and burn clean. Platinum plugs last longer and do help emissions on oily engines,but if you check plugs regularly, keep it simple and cheap.The most powerful F1 engine ever (BMW) used old fashioned copper plugs, good enough?
    and about 3 atmospheres of boost
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Would that mean the copper was used because its a better conductor so cooler or did they even have these rare metals then? I'm wondering if that single electrode covering the tip on the coppers gets in the way of the spark igniting the mixture... is there a real noticeable benefit to the dual element leaving the tip free and open to the chamber or is that single element bent over the tip just far too small in surface area to be of any such a negative influence on that critical conversion? As it stands now i think for me its best to use the cooler plug to help preserve engine integrity as long as that different electrode geometry i mentioned is in reality of absolutely no negative impact. Anyone seen any independent measurements on such things?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast