GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Couple of quick question re. 535i radiator replacement

Default Couple of quick questions re. 535i radiator replacement

Getting ready to do radiator replacement and I have a couple of quick questions:

1 - My radiator shroud appears that it would clear the fan withouut removing the fan itself unless the radiator has to be tilted back toward the engine before being lifted out. Question does it have to be tilted toward the engine to lift out of engine bay? The reason I'm asking is because there are no bycicle shops in town for a thin 32mm purchase.

2 - If I must remove the fan, what is the best method to brace the fan clutch to keep it from spinning when I whack the wrench. The fan blades themselves appear pretty fragile, so I don't want to just hold the blades with a towel. I'd be afraid I would break it. (duh - I guess that wouldn't do much good anyway - "fan clutch")

3 - I have a small diameter hose that appears to maybe be an overflow line or something going fro just above the top big hose back to the fill-tank I believe. The clamp on it is some funky kind of crimp clamp or something. Is this reuseable? What is the best way to remove it without destroying it, or do I need to just replace it with a normal screw-down type clamp?

Thanks for the help in advance guys...
    Last edited by Mitch90535im; 05-07-2004 at 06:11 PM.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

I'm about to tackle my 525i radiator tomorrow. I agree with you in that it looks like it will come out w/o removing the shroud....I hope so.
    Good luck with your's!
    Will

Default These are my suggestions

1.- The radiator slides straight up but take off the fan for safety. You wouldn't like to open a hole in the new radiator by hitting it on the fan.

2.- To hold the fan blades (or the clutch) will do nothing for you, you have to hold steady the Fan/water pump pulley. I use an open wrench the size of the fan pulley bolts to the pump (Four of them not forming a perfect square) Loose one bolt and allow the wrench arm to rest in the next bolt to prevent the pulley to rotate. I do not have a 32 mm, so I normally use a long tiny nose visegrip. (I do never overtight the fan clutch. No need for that). Remember the fan clutch is a left handed thread!

3.- I would use a new clamp as the original BMW clamps are not supposed to be reusable. If you take a look at it, you will notice how it works and if carefully disassembled, may be you will be able to clamp it back with a cutting pliers. I wouldn't trust it though. Once you loose the tiny hose, be sure it is clean. It has a tendency to be clogged at the expansion tank end. Just allow water to run from the expansion tank to the open end at the radiator side.

leave the fan and remove the shroud instead, it's just held on with two reuseable plastic rivets
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

George, I see you're up this morning, how about your comments on this please.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

It's done! Took about two hours (due to interuptions). Did not have to remove the shroud completely. Just moved it out of the way after disconnecting it from the old radiator. Pretty straight-forward R&R. BTW the radiator cost $179.00 delivered fromeeuroparts.com. It was a Nissen not a Behr.