GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: My M30 gets too hot!

Default My M30 gets too hot!

Only when I'm stopped or slow moving.

Bad fan clutch?

My fan shroud has 1 and a half blades missing, this happened when i had my little accident. this never affected the temp, so i don't think it's that all a sudden. I had plenty of coolant, in case anyone asks, no noticeable leaks. I usually check my coolant level every week.

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sniper535
    Only when I'm stopped or slow moving.

Bad fan clutch?

My fan shroud has 1 and a half blades missing, this happened when i had my little accident. this never affected the temp, so i don't think it's that all a sudden. I had plenty of coolant, in case anyone asks, no noticeable leaks. I usually check my coolant level every week.
    FWIW I've had that symptom from two different causes:
    1) bad fan clutch - new one cured it
    2) old fluid - flush and fill cured it

Overheating at slow/stop is often a sign that the clutch is bad, as the clutch is what makes the air flow higher when stopped. Try the cheapest thing first - new coolant isn't too bad and a good idea for the start of summer anyway. If that's not it, a fan clutch is a little more but pretty easy to swap.

HTH

- Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

You can always do the good old rolled newspaper trick to check the clutch. If you can bring the fan to as stop with the newspaper roll when the engine is fully warm (aka going beyond the 1/2 mark in your case), you need a new clutch. Also, if your car doesn't start sounding like a UPS truck when it gets warm like that, you have reason to suspect the clutch. In traffic I can distinctly tell when my fan clutch engages by the sound the engine makes when revved.