GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: e34 4 speed auto VS 5 speed manual

Default e34 4 speed auto VS 5 speed manual

here in australia its impossible to find a 5 speed manual in good condition, there interior is always tatty and they have above 300000km on the speedo.

so what do i do

get a 5 speed manual in yucky condition

or

a 4 speed auto 525i in excellent condition inside and out

could someone who has driven the 4 speed auto tell me what its like? fuel economy, how it drives, acceleration etc. thanks so much!

i cant afford the 5 speed auto at the moment. this is only my second car as im a learner, my old car being a e30 3i8i didnt cut the mustard, so cramped and old. now i $6500 to spend on a nice new bimmer
    Last edited by adashio; 05-24-2007 at 09:16 AM.

get the auto and rebuild a 5-speed tranny and do a swap.

a car will evenutally come up. there's a 5 speed manual kit on ebay.au at the moment. i have an 4 speed auto and it's okay. you can come for a ride some time. are you in sydney?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    a car will evenutally come up. there's a 5 speed manual kit on ebay.au at the moment. i have an 4 speed auto and it's okay. you can come for a ride some time. are you in sydney?
    ill have to look that up. im in the southern highlands, bout 2 hours away, there are no bmw's down here so i have to travel to sydney to see any i have my eye on a really nice charcoal grey one, sunroof, 213 000km, all electric options, 525i, 4 speed, leather interior. from 1989. hopefully i can get up their on saturday to see it....how difficult is the manual swap? is it just a few nuts and bolts and slip it in?

Quote Originally Posted by adashio
    how difficult is the manual swap? is it just a few nuts and bolts and slip it in?

...no.

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_41.htm

Gale, a member on this board did a good writeup. I can't say how hard it is. but a 525i manual went on ebay.au for about 2 grand a few months ago. the exterior wasn't that good, but it was cheap.

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_41.htm

Gale, a member on this board did a good writeup. I can't say how hard it is. but a 525i manual went on ebay.au for about 2 grand a few months ago. the exterior wasn't that good, but it was cheap.

yeah, i think i care more about looks than performance so im tryin to find a combination of both but it isnt working. there just arent enough manuals! someone wanted 7k for a manual when i can get an auto with less k's, MUCh better interior and exterior for 5.5k gah!

oh and yes i assumed it was more than a "few nuts and bolts" but i was just trying to say is it relativly easy or do i have to pull the whole car apart.

oh and before i forget. what motors can i buy for an e34. there was a manual i was going to buy but the lady blew motor up, at least the top part anyway. so wats a cheap motor that can fit into these cars and how much would i be looking at?

you would have to replace the current motor with something very similar or the same model, or rebuild the wrecked motor. headgaskets (i'm assuming what you call the top part), is not that hard. you have to pull the exhaust, driveshaft, gearbox and gear stick leaver among other items. these could take 3-5 hours just for removal.

yeah, i think i care more about looks than performance so im tryin to find a combination of both but it isnt working. there just arent enough manuals! someone wanted 7k for a manual when i can get an auto with less k's, MUCh better interior and exterior for 5.5k gah!

oh and yes i assumed it was more than a "few nuts and bolts" but i was just trying to say is it relativly easy or do i have to pull the whole car apart.

oh and before i forget. what motors can i buy for an e34. there was a manual i was going to buy but the lady blew motor up, at least the top part anyway. so wats a cheap motor that can fit into these cars and how much would i be looking at?

you would have to replace the current motor with something very similar or the same model, or rebuild the wrecked motor. headgaskets (i'm assuming what you call the top part), is not that hard. you have to pull the exhaust, driveshaft, gearbox and gear stick leaver among other items. these could take 3-5 hours just for removal.

aparently its the head, not the headgasket (im not mechanically minded...just yet...im still learning!) but i dont have a clue where to start finding a similar motor, how to install it etc etc..id just rather pay the extra $1000 for an e34 that has a working motor.

does the e34 have keyless entry as standard? and how much did they cost back in 1989 when they were new? rough quesstimate of course. thanks

I have no idea about keyless entry. I haven't personally seen any around here, I'm sure there are retrofit kits around though.

aparently its the head, not the headgasket (im not mechanically minded...just yet...im still learning!) but i dont have a clue where to start finding a similar motor, how to install it etc etc..id just rather pay the extra $1000 for an e34 that has a working motor.

does the e34 have keyless entry as standard? and how much did they cost back in 1989 when they were new? rough quesstimate of course. thanks