GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plug job on 540

Default Spark Plug job on 540

I bought Bosch coppers and a set a of valve cover gaskets expecting to change my plugs. Do these plugs require setting the gap and should I also buy new valve cover bolt washers or do these rarely show up bad? Also is it a must to use a Torque wrench and apply a certain force when tightening the new plugs or should a half a turn from snug or so be sufficient.
    Last edited by Jehu; 05-23-2007 at 09:59 AM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Plugs are already gapped... Tightening is usual 1/4 turn from snug or so.

Torque wrench on the valve cover gasket... yes. The small 3/8" torque wrench. Never the 1/2" one.

Yea, the valve cover torques are really touchy. You will want to use a good quality 3/8'' whrench and be careful. A little too tight or loose can easily case a leak. As for the plugs, im not a master mechanic, but i used a torque wrench with a spark plug socket just to be safe.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Thanks , what about the cover bolt washer/grommets? Smart to buy a set just to be safe I'd imagine weather any are decayed or i lose one. Would it be unwise to do this outdoors? I understand you should only do the plugs on an Aluminum block when its cool so ideally I'd like to do this where its parked but i'm under trees and there's pollen and all kinds of crap floating around I'd be concerned I'd miss something falling in there and end up with a problem.

Cool motor and anti- sieze on the threads.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

you really used a torque wrench on the spark plugs. I just put some anti-seize past on the plugs and forget about them. I mean how hard can you really put them in untill you know they are tight. Same with the valve cover nuts, i never used a torque wrench on them, then again I only have a 1/2" driver version.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Yea, the valve cover torques are really touchy. You will want to use a good quality 3/8'' whrench and be careful. A little too tight or loose can easily case a leak. As for the plugs, im not a master mechanic, but i used a torque wrench with a spark plug socket just to be safe.

I read the plugs all come with an anti sieze compound on the threads anyway. How about the Valve Cover gaskets? Do they require any kind of cement or anything or just slip them on and bolt them down?

I've never bought spark plugs with antiseize paste on them and you might want to use some hyolmar to ensure the gasket sticks to the cylinder head.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I read the plugs all come with an anti sieze compound on the threads anyway. How about the Valve Cover gaskets? Do they require any kind of cement or anything or just slip them on and bolt them down?

from http://nightrider.com/biketech/spkplghnbook.htm#tips
    Installation Tips
    Here are a couple of tips to help assure the success of changing spark plugs. The first is to remove spark plugs from aluminum cylinder heads only when the engine is cool. Since aluminum and steel expand and contract at different rates, removing spark plugs from an aluminum cylinder head while hot can actually cause thread and cylinder head damage. Before installing the spark plugs, make sure the threads are clean and in good condition. If in doubt, run a thread chaser through the plug opening in the cylinder head. Most plug manufacturers recommend that you do not use an anti-seize compound, since one has already been applied to the plugs at the factory. Next, install the spark plugs finger tight and, it using a taper seat spark plug, use a ratchet to rotate 1/16 of a turn. If using a gasket seat type spark plug, after installing finger tight, turn 1/4 to 5/8 of a turn. If this procedure is followed, spark plugs will not back out nor will they seize in the cylinder head.
    Last edited by Jehu; 05-23-2007 at 09:46 AM.

I've never heard of someone running a thread chaser were the plugs go, I guess someone could do it, it would just take a while and I've never bought plugs with anti-sieze paste on them. NGK makes no mention of not using anti-sieze paste. http://www.ngkspark.com.au/tech_inde...ch_content.htm

They are the plugs I'm running.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    from http://nightrider.com/biketech/spkplghnbook.htm#tips
    Installation Tips
    Here are a couple of tips to help assure the success of changing spark plugs. The first is to remove spark plugs from aluminum cylinder heads only when the engine is cool. Since aluminum and steel expand and contract at different rates, removing spark plugs from an aluminum cylinder head while hot can actually cause thread and cylinder head damage. Before installing the spark plugs, make sure the threads are clean and in good condition. If in doubt, run a thread chaser through the plug opening in the cylinder head. Most plug manufacturers recommend that you do not use an anti-seize compound, since one has already been applied to the plugs at the factory. Next, install the spark plugs finger tight and, it using a taper seat spark plug, use a ratchet to rotate 1/16 of a turn. If using a gasket seat type spark plug, after installing finger tight, turn 1/4 to 5/8 of a turn. If this procedure is followed, spark plugs will not back out nor will they seize in the cylinder head.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast