GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Oil Level

Default Oil Level

In my car--'91 525i with M50 engine--I'm getting the Engine Oil Low advisory. But oil level is OK on the dip stick, about 1/2qt low. I gave mechanic a heads up to have oil level sensor on hand when it comes in for an oil change shortly, and he said those sensors never fail. (I've replaced coolant level sensor to correct erroneous coolant level low warning. This seemed like the same thing) So I tried to check connections, but it looks like I'd have to dismantle the intake to follow its wire. Is there something easier I should check first?

the sensors DO GO BAD. You could try taking it out and rinsing the crud out with laquir thinner or whatever which fixed mine but hey you have a new one...why not try that first before dismanteling everything

good luck!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    In my car--'91 525i with M50 engine--I'm getting the Engine Oil Low advisory. But oil level is OK on the dip stick, about 1/2qt low. I gave mechanic a heads up to have oil level sensor on hand when it comes in for an oil change shortly, and he said those sensors never fail. (I've replaced coolant level sensor to correct erroneous coolant level low warning. This seemed like the same thing) So I tried to check connections, but it looks like I'd have to dismantle the intake to follow its wire. Is there something easier I should check first?
    I have the same problem a couple of months back problem was the sensor.Replaced it with a new one, now no probs.

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

oil level about halfway down the dipstick will trigger the low oil level
    Gone but not forgotten

Same issue here.

I have learned to live with it, and ultimately wouldn't trust a 'working' unit with my engines health anyway. I check the oil level every few days with the car cold on a flat surface. Every now and then the low oil level chimes and I know its crying wolf. Whats a new sensor worth these days? Probably more than I'm willing to spend

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

very old and thick oil can cause sensors to hang in the e28. Same in an e-34? Just a thought.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I haven't seen that error yet on the V8 engine I have. I've always used synthetic, mobil one 0w-40, and now redline 10w-40. That oil level sender of yours runs 130, so it is pricey. But it looks like a solid state device, so it could be cleaned. Too bad it's not one of the 20 dollar temp sensor jobbies.

I believe I ran across a service bulletin a couple weeks ago on the M20/M50 engines having a porous float in the oil level sensor causing this issue.

The device is probably the same as the coolant sensor in that it has a float with a magnet attached and a reed-switch that it closes when the level is either too low or sufficient.