GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thats it im keeping the car

Default thats it im keeping the car

and doing the 5-speed swap.

for those of you who do not know my transmission in my car went out over a month ago and the cost of rebuilding is astronomical.

i have one of those aftermarket warranties which provided me with a used tranny.

called the mechanic today and told me the cooler threads have stripped and the warranty company doesnt include the cooler. basically this is a hard part to get used and the only way is through a dealer which doesnt fly with me and also i have to pay for the fluid. i dont want to put money towards fluid which will go into the used tranny so i rather put it towards the 5-speed.

i contacted the euro depot and the 5-speed kit is around $1900. it includes all new parts which is what i like besides the obvious used items like the transmission and driveshaft, pedals, etc..

my mechanic doesnt mind doing it but hes not sure if the warranty company will buy the tranny back. if not then how much can i get for a used 5HP30? or is there a company out there that will take them? like kurt kroller?

anyways i had a chance to look under the car with the tranny out and its prety amazing how BMW designed all these cars to accept manual transmissions. theres even a rubber plug in where the clutch lines go through. my mechanic was suprised becuase he thought there would have to be holes cut and such. BMW already did that.

But if anyone needs a good used BMW 540iA driveshaft or automatic tranny computer or wiring harness let me know. i need $$$$. I also have a set of style 19s in my basement id hate to let go but i want my car back. they are all straight and in very good shape. the clear coat is peeling off in some spots on 2 of the wheels. One wheel is real bad but all the wheels are straight. i wouldnt hesitate to run them as is but to look 100% they will need to be recleared.
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

Are you putting a 5 speed in 540 or a 6 speed? Just curious
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

Scott, he said 5 speed, the 6 speed costs too much.

Markus, I'm glad you are keeping it. I wonder how much diff in performance is between the 5 and the 6 sp. But I'm sure it will be very satisfactory. Most of the time I skip the gears anyway because there's really no need for 6 of them unless I'm trying to top out the speedo. Most of the time, it's just 1st, 2nd, then 6th.

Just FYI - I have an auto-trans cooler (OEM) I will send you for postage-costs....

Car Info is HERE

is the cooler for the 5HP30 or no? I dont even know how this god damn thing is suppsoed to fit in. either way these autos are POSs.
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

yea the cases of those trannys are some of the softest **** alloy i've seen, i think they are made from melted down lawn furniture and beer cans

Quote Originally Posted by markus
    is the cooler for the 5HP30 or no? I dont even know how this god damn thing is suppsoed to fit in. either way these autos are POSs.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

beer cans are tough, pot metal perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    yea the cases of those trannys are some of the softest **** alloy i've seen, i think they are made from melted down lawn furniture and beer cans
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The cooler I have is for the auto that came in the 93 - The GM one. This goes in front of your radiator. I'll dig it out and take a pic.

Car Info is HERE

I take you called around and could not get a good price on a six speed package? Have you tried this place?

http://www.austinveedub.com/

They have one the last time I checked a few days ago. I bought mine a year ago for $2,000.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

For sure. More than a few running around with pan bolts broken off too.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast