GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pushing in new bushes...

Default Pushing in new bushes...

I've removed one of the rear subframe bushes (after 14hrs of hard labour!), and now ive pushed the new one mostly in with the jack with only about an inch to go. When i jack up under the bush, and lift the car off the stands it just seems to be staying where it is (Before it was moving up within a minute or so).

Anyone got a way to get the last inch in? Oh and i am just simply jacking up underneath the bush, do i need to put anything above the subframe when doing this?

Thanks everyone. (Im sure this has been discussed before, but i cant find the info i need using the search bar so i posted it!)
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

well take a 4x4 &cut it down...then drill out about an inch deep in the center and pressit up and then take a pry bar and put it on the top and pry down and it should go down all the way

Default I already answered this for you!

If you read my reply to your other post, I told you the answer is a heat gun. In that post, I stated that mine quit with about one inch to go as well. I heated the outside of the subframe bushing bore up, jacked it up again and it slid right in.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Default Hi again...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert K
    If you read my reply to your other post, I told you the answer is a heat gun. In that post, I stated that mine quit with about one inch to go as well. I heated the outside of the subframe bushing bore up, jacked it up again and it slid right in.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i
    Thanks!

Default I tried the...

Heat gun, never worked. Ive tried for afew hours tonight to get it in, without success. think it moved about 1mm. Still about 3/4 " left to go.

Here is what i have done so far. I wet the bush and inserted it into the subframe housing (obviously the correct way up). I then jacked up underneath the bush with a piece of 2x4 between the bush and the jack. I jacked up underneath the bush so the car lifted slightly off the stand (I have it on one stand). Then the bush would settle in within seconds and the car lowered back onto the stand. I done this a few times over and all was going well. Unfortunately things stopped progressing with just 1" to go. So i tried using some hot water and jacking up - no good. I bought a heat gun today and tried to heat up the subframe housing - no good. I'm at a loss, and really in need of some suggestions. It took me 14hrs labour to get the bushing out, and so far 5hrs to get this one in. Not good.

Default How about a few hits with

a hammer as the bush is being pushed up?

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default Thanks...

that was my next move, but do you think it will damage the bush?

do what i said 3 messages ago believ eme it works i have done over 12 of these this way

got a picture? I am having trouble understanding what you mean? Thanks
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default Hi there slupregime...

I cant picture what you mean, there is not m uch space above the bush housing, and what are you using to pry against?

Ive tried so far - Jacking up the car (got mosto of it in), adding water (no good), using a heat gun and jacking up under it (no good), hammering it in (not much good), and finally made a bracket last night with a big bolt going through to tighten it up which got it in another 3-4mm when the nut started to round. Im going to get some better nuts tonight and some washers. Not sure if it'll work but if it does like the BMW tool, i'll try and post a picture as it was very cheap and easy to make.

Russell, Im not sure how to get a picture attached to this as it keeps failing - all it is is that the bush is mostly in the subframe housing, just about 1/2" left to push in and seems stuck. I am assuming i inserted it the right way with the two grooves lined up with the indentations in the housing?!

Thanks everyone so far...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast