GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I dipped a paw in the Diesel tank... (Pictures)

Default So I dipped a paw in the Diesel tank... (Pictures)

... and had a look at some things.

Popped the cap off the sender arrangement in the boot of the tourer and had a look at what lies beneath. (I was bored lol and wanted to have a nosey at the air in the fuel problem.

Yanked the whole assembly out of the tank to inspect, interestingly the diesel pump sits in its own housing at the bottom of the tank, not sure if the petrol one does the same thing? Had to go fishing in the tank to get at it.

The bit that's causing all the air in fuel problem and bad diesel idle is marked number 1 in the following picture, a little f'cking O-Ring.

Last edited by Ferret; 01-29-2008 at 08:02 PM.

This pipe slots into a feeder pipe in the bracket half way up the side of the tank - which runs down to the bottom of the tank. (Marked 2)

When the tank goes under 1/4 full, this joint is no longer submerged and air can be drawn in through the buggered O-Ring. I'm gonna hit the nearest dealer to get the exact part required, diesel resistant and all, as it'll only cost a few pence and be the exact fit.

While I was under there, I stuck the multimeter across the pump terminals and discovered that the pump itself is good. Fires up correctly, but I think it might be worn to it's servicable limit, as if you look carefully at the above picture you can see metal shavings in the bottom of the tank right under where the pump entrance is positioned.

I'll replace both parts

If you've got a diesel and there's air in the line I suggest you change that O-ring and see what happens. The car is now starting a lot better from just having disturbed the pump and reseated the o-ring.
    Last edited by Ferret; 01-29-2008 at 08:03 PM.

No diesel car is allowed in California. Dame..
    (SOLD) 92 525ia M50 | NGK plug | JVC AR560 | EAT chip | California

diesel owners are sooooo selfish, spewing all that crap just to save themselves a few pennies... lol when i'm King of the World I will ban all trucks and launch them into the Sun!
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    This pipe slots into a feeder pipe in the bracket half way up the side of the tank - which runs down to the bottom of the tank. (Marked 2)

When the tank goes under 1/4 full, this joint is no longer submerged and air can be drawn in through the buggered O-Ring. I'm gonna hit the nearest dealer to get the exact part required, diesel resistant and all, as it'll only cost a few pence and be the exact fit.

While I was under there, I stuck the multimeter across the pump terminals and discovered that the pump itself is good. Fires up correctly, but I think it might be worn to it's servicable limit, as if you look carefully at the above picture you can see metal shavings in the bottom of the tank right under where the pump entrance is positioned.

I'll replace both parts

If you've got a diesel and there's air in the line I suggest you change that O-ring and see what happens. The car is now starting a lot better from just having disturbed the pump and reseated the o-ring.
    If it turns out that you`ve found the problem then come down here for the beer!Pass on the part number for the `O` ring please.As for not being allowed diesels in la-la land,more fool them. By the way, your thread on diff ratios was interesting,accounts for top speed being higher than declared by BM,with that ratio any increase in revs would have a big differenc,mine pulls 4950.

What crap? Particulate filters work,lower cost of refining etc,and we get 35-48mpg,may be a few pennies to you but its pounds to me,AND the old oil from the sump keeps my house warm thanks,oh, and mine will lap the ring at 9`28",better than a 540 on a dry day!

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Paull-Edwards
    If it turns out that you`ve found the problem then come down here for the beer!Pass on the part number for the `O` ring please.As for not being allowed diesels in la-la land,more fool them. By the way, your thread on diff ratios was interesting,accounts for top speed being higher than declared by BM,with that ratio any increase in revs would have a big differenc,mine pulls 4950.
    Barney,

Part 8, less than $1US - should fix the whole problem I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtisas
    No diesel car is allowed in California. Dame..

european diesel fuel has a much lower sulphur content.

Solid gold! That makes forum worthwhile. Thanks and you know where to come for beer,or channel ferry tickets.

bite me! i've been sporting da truck for the last week or two while the e30 sits awaiting cheaper gas, at the moment the truck is cheaper to drive despite the fact that it gets around 7 mpg less then the e30, diesel is 40-50 cents a gallon less then super, not too long ago they were about the same price

and yes if i want to i can single handedly deplete the ozone layer and smite tailgater's at will, one of these days i gotta take a pic of a good soot cloud, depending on how i have the afc set this is about like mine cept i have duals for full coverage, but i can shut down 4 lanes of traffic if i set it full loose http://video.thedieselgarage.com/cat...d100f48156.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    diesel owners are sooooo selfish, spewing all that crap just to save themselves a few pennies... lol when i'm King of the World I will ban all trucks and launch them into the Sun!
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast