GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: possible autobox failure??

Unregistered Guest

Default possible autobox failure??

Hi
    Can anyone give me some advice re my 525i? (1989 auto) Bought the car 6 months ago and had to do lots of repairs to it since (Top suspension mount, brakes, pas etc). Driving to work this morning I hear a big clunk and the overdrive seems to be slipping a bit. I don't know if the whole auto trans system will have to be replaced or whether it's more easily fixable. If the tranny needs replacing does anyone know how much it will be? I'm not getting any error codes and as I have just spent over £1000 on the car to fix it, does anyone have any idea what is wrong, or whether it's worth fixing? It's done 138k miles.

AJ

You did not mentioned, have You checked the ATF level in the transmission box?

Unregistered Guest

Hi
    I looked at the level via the dipstick, and it looks as though there maybe slightly too much oil in it rather than too little.

It depends on how did You checked the ATF level (engine on, warm or off cold ...) but never mind that, I guess with the ATF level is nothing wrong. Does it shifts through gears normally as it did before the "big clunk"? Is there any difference between a cold or a warm run? Is there any vibration? Are You definitely sure that it is a gearbox and not something else down there ... driveshaft, bearings, etc. ?

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by molesz
    It depends on how did You checked the ATF level (engine on, warm or off cold ...) but never mind that, I guess with the ATF level is nothing wrong. Does it shifts through gears normally as it did before the "big clunk"? Is there any difference between a cold or a warm run? Is there any vibration? Are You definitely sure that it is a gearbox and not something else down there ... driveshaft, bearings, etc. ?
    Hi
    Thanks for replying

Yes at the moment it is shifting through ok.
    No Difference bewteen a warm or cold run.
    No vibration either.
    I have also noticed that occaisionally the speedo needle drops by 5mph when travelling along, for no apparent reason. Would this then affect the gear change, or am I just being hopeful.
    AJ