GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Self-locking steering wheel center nut?

Default Self-locking steering wheel center nut?

Hi guys,

I'm about to work on putting my new (used) steering wheel on. The old one has worn a hole through the leather wrap... an unacceptable blemish!

Bentley's says to use a new self-locking center nut on the steering wheel, but doesn't offer a part number, and I don't want to go pull off the airbag just to have a look at this nut, only THEN to order it online somewhere...

So, is this a BMW-specific nut? What size / thread? If I need to special-order it, anyone know where I can do so? I have been unable to find it on the part sites I've used so far. Does anyone have a part number... or do I not need one?

Thanks,

Andy
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Default I've always re-used the nut with a little loctite (nt)

Quote Originally Posted by andyman32
    Hi guys,

I'm about to work on putting my new (used) steering wheel on. The old one has worn a hole through the leather wrap... an unacceptable blemish!

Bentley's says to use a new self-locking center nut on the steering wheel, but doesn't offer a part number, and I don't want to go pull off the airbag just to have a look at this nut, only THEN to order it online somewhere...

So, is this a BMW-specific nut? What size / thread? If I need to special-order it, anyone know where I can do so? I have been unable to find it on the part sites I've used so far. Does anyone have a part number... or do I not need one?

Thanks,

Andy
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Default I tried to get it, but nobody I talked to...

seemed to know the part number or how to find it. Guys on this board say OK to reuse with appropriate (removable) locktite.

I think the advice not to reuse may be only CYA legal strategy. This is bad, because there really are some nuts (like driveshaft) that should really not be reused.

Quote Originally Posted by andyman32
    Hi guys,

Thanks,

Andy

Default I've always used the same one too

Quote Originally Posted by Warren N.CA
    seemed to know the part number or how to find it. Guys on this board say OK to reuse with appropriate (removable) locktite.

I think the advice not to reuse may be only CYA legal strategy. This is bad, because there really are some nuts (like driveshaft) that should really not be reused.