GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, what could be the reason the electric fuel pump doesn't work at startup?

Default Help, what could be the reason the electric fuel pump doesn't work at startup?

Hi.

At the first I would like to say that my problem is common for cars with petrol and diesel engines. The problem is the following:

I know when I put the key on ignition ( before starting the engine ) the electric fuel pump ( which is in fuel tank ) should work ( for a short time ) to supply the fuel to engine. It doesn't work. What could be the reason? I have measured the voltage on fuse N23 ( the pump's fuse. The fuse was OK ) and there was not a voltage when I switched on the key on ignition state. The relay which supplies the voltage to that fuse also was OK. I think that from a reason (I would like to know WHAT reason ) the DDE doesn't send signal to mentioned relay. Maybe by the some reason there is insufficient pressure in fuel supply system? Maybe the fuel level sensor is responsible for the mentioned signal?
    My thanks to everybody who will reply to my issue.
    P.S.
    Just when I start the starter the pump works. But it also should work before starting the starter, when the key has put on ignition state.

I think all BMWs are made so the engine must be running or starter must be engaged to get power to the pump, but I'd appreciate a second opinion from an experienced BMW tech...

sounds like a safety issue to me, why have full pressure to the system while your sitting in a parking lot burning some buds? It doesnt take long at all for the pressure to build up since theres a check valve in the fuel system to keep some pressure in it.

thats my guess...

did i win the $10,000 prize yet?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I know that some cars have a pressure accumulator in the FI system and that the boost pump/lift pump won't energize if there is still suitable pressure with which a successful start can be accomplished. That's probably in combination with what Jeff also mentioned about saftey and not having a fuel pump try and fill a line without any volumetric consumption (i.e. bypass/return 100% of what is pumped)

FWIW,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Default What little I know about the topic...

I recently replaced the fuel pump on my 1991 535i. Before doing so, I ran some diagnostics using the Bentley manual. What I remember is this. First, there is a check valve in the fuel system that is supposed to maintain residual pressure in the fuel line. That way, when you do go to start the car, you have some fuel pressure already in the line. Also, to test the pump, you have to put the key in the start position and actually jump across two terminals at the fuel pump relay socket (after removing the relay). I don't exactly know why BMW made it that way, but that's the way it is. I know that in my 1986 Ford Tbird, when I turn the key to "ON," I can hear the fuel pump start up, then shut off once fuel pressure is built up. So as somebody else has said, it is most likely some type of safety feature BMW decided to incorporate into the system.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Default Right, wht circulate gallons of fuel while listenin to the radio and smokin buds.

The potential for accident is at least 10 fold VS not pumping fuel in circles when not needed.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default On addition to my issue regarding the fuel pump problem at startup..

A lot of thanks to everybody who has replied to my issue.

Just I would like to add the following: when I fill the fuel tank more than 30 liter the engine starts immediately, I mean the starter works very short time ( 1 sec, even maybe less than 1 sec. I think because of in this case the fuel pressure is enough ). But when the fuel is less than 25 liter the starter works a bit longer ( more than 15 sec ) before engine is started ( low fuel pressure ). I think the reason is that the fuel pump does not work when the key has put on ignition state ( before starting the starter ). This logic of starting has been implemented in many cars ( for example in Robert_K 's Ford Tbird ).

Default Arthur on yours it looks like the fuel heater relay feed the power to the

transfer pump relay on startup, and in position 2 of your key the transfer pump should be running. I would suspect the fuel heater relay or thats what i would check next. Jumper it and see if the transfer pump runs. It looks like once the engine is running that the alternator supplies power to the transfer pump relay but on startup the fuel heater relay does.

Quote Originally Posted by arthur_525TDS
    A lot of thanks to everybody who has replied to my issue.

Just I would like to add the following: when I fill the fuel tank more than 30 liter the engine starts immediately, I mean the starter works very short time ( 1 sec, even maybe less than 1 sec. I think because of in this case the fuel pressure is enough ). But when the fuel is less than 25 liter the starter works a bit longer ( more than 15 sec ) before engine is started ( low fuel pressure ). I think the reason is that the fuel pump does not work when the key has put on ignition state ( before starting the starter ). This logic of starting has been implemented in many cars ( for example in Robert_K 's Ford Tbird ).

Default Thank you Bill !

I would like to pass my grateful thanks to Bill R. Thank you very much Bill for your response with detailed illustrations .
    Just could you tell me please where has installed the fuel heater relay ( what number is it in picture or where it has located? ) ? I know the number 2 is the fuel transfer pump's relay. I would like to test according to your recommendations. Thanks.

With best regards,
    Arthur.

Default Arthur, heres the layout on the relays for the m51, in

your case i can't really help much since we don't get the diesels in the US and I haven't worked on one...

Quote Originally Posted by arthur_525TDS
    I would like to pass my grateful thanks to Bill R. Thank you very much Bill for your response with detailed illustrations .
    Just could you tell me please where has installed the fuel heater relay ( what number is it in picture or where it has located? ) ? I know the number 2 is the fuel transfer pump's relay. I would like to test according to your recommendations. Thanks.

With best regards,
    Arthur.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast