GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Fuel pump dying briefly, getting closer to solving my issues (automotive issues :) )

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fuel pump dying briefly, getting closer to solving my issues (automotive issues :) )

I'm still fartin around trying to solve my periodic engine studdering issue. I have narrowed it down to the pump, as the hesitations coincide with low fuel pressure readings (I attached my fuel pressure guage to the 'inlet' line from the sending unit and watch it when the engine is idling and hesitates). The reading with the engine running is 47-48 psi (a bit low acording to bentley) and it drops way down for a brief moment when the engine sputters and recovers. FWIW, when I actuate the pump with a switch at the relay, I get a solid 51-52 psi (proper opressure according to bentley). So its the pump hesitating, should have done this a long time ago.........ooooops.

Next, in order to determine whether it was upstream (power supply to pump), I then hooked up my multimeter to the power supply wire at the sending unit and extended the wire so I could watch it while driving. I noticed that the voltage does NOT drop significantly prior to the pump quiting. The voltage only drops slightly from 13.1 V to high 12.XX V just after the sputter, which I'm guessing is attributable to the brief loss of engine speed.

I suppose my question are:

Would this be enough evidence to warrant a pump replacement? They're expensive and I'm cheap, its a tough descision

From my experience, a fuel pump will get cranky and make noise before dying. Since mine isn't noisy at all, could it be wiring beyond the connector at the sending unit? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks again,

Dave M
    Last edited by Dave M; 05-17-2007 at 09:52 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *