GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 95 model cluster failure solved

Default 95 model cluster failure solved

When all my instruments died, I bought a second hand board from EBAY changed the board and it soved the problem.
    When i went to stick my coding plug into the new board it didn't work. Swapped plugs and boards and boards and plugs. End result the coding plug failed and stopped the whole instrument panel from working.
    My E34 used to have only 85, 000 KMs now with this board it has over 250,000 Miles.....Oh well at least it works. I must say these cars are not as reliable as I thought. I have had no end of electrical problems with this car. From electric windows,control module, cluster, alternator,brake switch, coolant sensor,boot release solonoid, and the heap of **** is a 95 model with only 85,000 KM's.

My old prince of darkness 89 model Range Rover ****'s all over this car for electrical reliablility. Maybe the 95 model is a bad year, I know it was almost the worst year model Range Rover to buy.

I was going to buy another one of these cars when I get back to Australia, but not now, I had a gut full of fixing this thing.

I own a 95 525i, with 220,000kms, and haven't had any problems like that in the 30,000ks that I've owned it for. Maybe you got a bad one?

Old car: 95 525i, OB/Silver, Eibachs, Style 66, Missed dearly!!
    VIN Decoder | Online ETK
    | E34 Bible

Gotta say you are the first person I've ever heard claim any Rover to be more reliable than a BM.
    There is a wealth of knowledge on this board regarding DIY fixes for common electrical weaknesses that will keep you from enriching the parts vendors too much.
    85k km is quite young by E34 standards. I say get her properly sorted once and then pass judgement.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Wow - somebody sold you an abused car - maybe had been in a flood or something. My '95 has well over 200k miles and, from the items on your list, I have only had to replace the brake light switch.
    Sorry to hear you're not happy (I would'nt be either), but the general experience is that e34's are, for cars now over 12 years old, pretty reliable rides.
    Good luck with whatever you wind up doing.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I imported the car out of Japan. It was absolutely spotless when I bought it, and like all BM's it drives well and goes like a cut snake.
    Anyway good to here i'm alone in the problem department. I haven't had any trouble fixing anything. I can fix just about any electrical problem on the planet. I do it for a living on Aircraft. I suppose that's what ****'s me so much. Last thing you want to do at home is the same crap at work!

I'm here in Vanuatu for 1.5 years so if the problems start to abate i'll reconsider.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz66
    My old prince of darkness 89 model Range Rover ****'s all over this car for electrical reliablility. Maybe the 95 model is a bad year, I know it was almost the worst year model Range Rover to buy.

I was going to buy another one of these cars when I get back to Australia, but not now, I had a gut full of fixing this thing.
    Have a brother in Perth. Told me Range Rovers dont sell out there cos they arent reliable- everyone buys Japanese 4x4s ? :-) Also, unlike your Range Rover, I doubt your BM will end up on its roof if you turn the wheel fairly sharply at 45mph :-)

You can get a new coding plug on ebay for $10. I bought one from this seller and Shogun will vouch for his good character as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-O...QQcmdZViewItem

It would require a trip to the dealer to have the new coding plug programmed but they can set it back to your original 85km.
    Last edited by gale; 05-17-2007 at 01:20 PM.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

I had a couple of rovers before I saw the light and they were not reliable for me! The Range Rover I've heard is a lot better but is very expensive to fix if it goes wrong. As others have said 85k km is what about 50k miles, its nothing for one of these. My 89 535i sport has 186k miles and my 97 540i touring has 120k miles but I've had far more electrical gremlins in my touring than the saloon, i suppose its just the way they are treated and the surroundings they are 'brought up in'. Once all the problems are sorted the fun factor is far greater from an e34 - and as pointed out they are getting on a bit. Its reflected in the resale values, what other 10 year old and upwards car commands such a premium? Stick with it man, get them sorted and then see what you think, parts are cheap if you sorce them sensibly and ebay is a good start.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe