GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thrust arm bushings: Urethane vs. 750i?

Default Thrust arm bushings: Urethane vs. 750i?

Hey everyone,

It's time to re-do my thrust arm bushings. Last time I went with lemforders with 750i bushings from BMA. Not bad. But they lasted about 60,000 kilometres. I think that's a bit early?

Anyways, I was thinking of going with either Bavauto or BMP units with urethane bushings. Bavauto say they softened theirs. Not really an issue for me. Also, I searched the archives and saw some talk about M5 bushings. Not sure what the deal with those is.

I guess the issues for me are outright performance and longevity. Which would you guys go with and why? Any experience with BMP vs. Bavauto bushings (I want the bushings already pressed for me)?

Thanks,

Mark

I did the M/5 bushings, they are more of a solid design vs the flimsy 750 bushings. I am impressed with them, I can blow out a 750 bushing on the first test drive.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

m5 bush = stronger than 750i ones. If you want the bushings pressed in already, its very hard to get that in urethane unless you get some powerflex bushes. you can get the m5 ones already pressed in but you need to buy the control arm also. You want "outright performance", there are steel bushes also. They are cool

I have urethane bushings by Grunt Bushings. Couldn't be happier.

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/
    http://www.powerflex.co.uk/faq.asp

How much do they cost?
    Typically about 5 to 8 times the cost of a standard rubber bush. However that is not the whole story. When you consider the cost of fitting new bushes and the fact that POWERFLEX will be the last bushes you every fit to your car things start to look a bit better. Then consider tyre wear, a real cost saving here. Car manufacturers have a habit of not supplying the bushes on their own, only supplying them complete with suspension arms. Paying £70 for an arm when a POWERFLEX bush might cost £15 is not a good idea. And finally as cars get older manufacturers stop supplying certain parts. Imagine your car was off the road because of a bush failure. You go to the parts shop and the part is "no longer serviced"! POWERFLEX makes a lot of sense then.

Are they easy to fit?
    We design all the bushes so that they can be fitted without special tools. However sometimes it is a lot harder to remove the old bushes than fit the new ones. If you feel you have very little mechanical knowledge, experience, talent or tools, either ask a friend or get them professionally fitted.

Yes...I heard that urethane are supposed to be a "permanent" fix. Well, at least they should last me a while.

With 60,000 on the lemforders with 750's, I figured I should do the arms and bushings. Plus, it would save me a trip to the shop to get the busings pressed in. In the interest of time, I was hoping to just bolt 'em up as a unit.

Anybody know who makes the busings for BMP and Bavauto? Don't suppose grunt sells their bushings pre-pressed in lemforder arms?

Mark

I had heard Poly Bushings were uber hard and created an unpleasant ride... whats up with that?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

unpleasant is a matter of personal taste.
    I prefer a crisp ride that some may say is bone jarring.

my pt is full poly except for front lower control arms (metal) a whopping 1.5" suspension travel on coilovers. Most would find it to be absolutely unacceptable but I was driving it daily until I got my 5.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I did the M/5 bushings, they are more of a solid design vs the flimsy 750 bushings. I am impressed with them, I can blow out a 750 bushing on the first test drive.
    So where can i get these M5 bushings and can they be had already pressed into Lemforder thrust ams?

Thanks

Jim

Honestly guys, M5 bushings are a waste of time. Go stock or go urethane. And I vote the latter. Urethane bushings are NOT as harsh as people make them seem. Honestly cannot tell the difference between my 525 (urethane) and sisters 530i (750)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast