GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: simple questions...

Default simple questions...

I looked up the bentley/owner manuals as well as did a quick search(search came up with too many things unrelated). So please answer(provide link to) these questions even though they are very basic.

car is 95 540i6

1) Procedure for access to battery

2) Coolant (do I just go to the dealer or is there a better and cheaper source?)

3) "New crush washers" mentioned in bmwe34.net procedure is the same as "new sealing washers" mentioned in bentley? Again, do I just go to the dealer for this?

4) I need to invest money on a torque wrench, any recommendations?

5) Ramps (I'm thinking of buying a set to put under the tires as safety net when I'm under the car). What do you recommend?

6) Where the heck is the V-belt? The engine compartment is so tight I can't really see everything. Is it the belt right behind the big fan?

7) hydraulic jack. Which ones do you guys have? I know a lot of people want "AC hHydraulic" but they are expensive. I looked up the craftsman at sears and they all have bad reviews. I did brakes on a honda accord last week and the damn chasis was so stiff the whole side of the car tilt even though I'm only jacking up the front corner, I expect the same with the e34, so I suppose I will need one of these jacks. If there are no decent ones available I might have to bite the bullet and shell out $600 for one.

8) How do I make adjustments to the hood? it's squeaking when opening and is a little crooked when closed.

Thank you so much.
    Last edited by txp135; 05-10-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Battery is under the back seat on the pass side, just yank it up.
    Coolant is a controversial subject here, blue is the consensus.
    Yes
    Cheap tools are a waste
    Ramps suck, use stands
    See 4
    Sorry I haven't adjusted my hood, Bentley ought to cover it. Lube the hinges first, it may just be sticking causing the misalignment.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thank you. Could you please mention the tools you're using? Do I get the "blue" coolant at dealer? As far as the ramps, I did mentioned I want to use them as safety net, which means the car is on stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Battery is under the back seat on the pass side, just yank it up.
    Coolant is a controversial subject here, blue is the consensus.
    Yes
    Cheap tools are a waste
    Ramps suck, use stands
    See 4
    Sorry I haven't adjusted my hood, Bentley ought to cover it. Lube the hinges first, it may just be sticking causing the misalignment.

Quote Originally Posted by txp135
    Could you please mention the tools you're using?
    Hammer, big: Qty 1 (one).

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

i only use craftsmen becuase if they brake lifetime warrenty and for coolant autozone sells gx-5 coolant i always use and if your using ramps and stands the jack doesnt matter as long it has a good lift capacity
    1987 BMW 325is 250+, first love
    1994 BMW 525i 136, new toy

Default ramps & stands

you'll need both for different tasks.

I just use an old cheapo chinese hydro jack 2.5 ton

just lift the car one corner at a time

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

2)Blue.. Dealer or BMA

4)Not Craftsman

5) This is a good idea.. however I will add my standard disclaimer of making sure someone is around.. it hurts when a car comes down

7) Something that isn't craftsman... I bought a craftsman spur of the moment.. waste of money. As for jacking up the car... I may get flamed for it.. but I am really partial to jacking the car up by the center, it's not nearly as hard on the frame.

*** Craftsman hand tools are ok..because when you break one you can get another. Everything else they make.. sucks (btw... torque wrenchdon't come with the warranty)
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Thank you very much. Maybe the easiest way to work on the car is when it's sideway like in the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote
    2)Blue.. Dealer or BMA

4)Not Craftsman

5) This is a good idea.. however I will add my standard disclaimer of making sure someone is around.. it hurts when a car comes down

7) Something that isn't craftsman... I bought a craftsman spur of the moment.. waste of money. As for jacking up the car... I may get flamed for it.. but I am really partial to jacking the car up by the center, it's not nearly as hard on the frame.

*** Craftsman hand tools are ok..because when you break one you can get another. Everything else they make.. sucks (btw... torque wrenchdon't come with the warranty)

Quote Originally Posted by txp135
    Thank you very much. Maybe the easiest way to work on the car is when it's sideway like in the pic.
    It is very easy to work on the car... right till you need something from the driver side :-)
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

I got my ramps at autozone or walmart some 5-6 years ago, the black plastic ones. I do NOT like or use metal ramps.