GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace engine wiring harness connectors

Default Replace engine wiring harness connectors

I want to replace some engine wiring harness connectors that are worn on my car. Specifically, I need the connector for the engine oil level sensor. It comes on periodically eventhough the oil level is full. I have already replaced the oil level sensor itself. The connector is in bad shape though. I also want to replace the connector for the oxygen sensor eventhough it is working fine. It is damaged and the oxygen sensor just plugs in but is not fastened in place. I figure it is just a matter of time before it comes apart or I get a bad connection and some fault codes result from it.

I found the connectors I need on www.realoem.com. Can I also order from realoem.com or do I need to find a supplier that carries them if one even does carry them?

I may also order some lighting connectors that broke while I was changing some bulbs.

I saw this covered in the forum recently, but have not been able to locate it again. Sorry if I am duplicating a thread!
    92 525i w/ Eibach lowering, Bilsteins, KMAC, Dinan chip, low temp coolant switch, K&N replacement air filter, UUC short shifter, RD strut brace, blacked out, 17" Borbets

a lot of us order from BMA in Ventura, California.

I always compare prices and shipping charges/time with my local dealer.

You can find BMA at www.bmaautoparts.com
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Default You can find

some of the common Bosch type connectors at most auto shops, and the rest it will be off to the dealer.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

The dealer has them all for small money.
    Or here
    http://www.action-electronics.com/ampcpc.htm#Extract
    Just yesterday I bought one from the aux fan switch on the right side of the radiator.
    The oxy sensor connector is broken inside, there is a plastic ring which breaks, then you can pull out the plug without unscrewing
    But you need a special extraction tool.
    All plugs are from AMP-Tyco and there is a special tool, which costs about 50 $.
    But you can make such a wire extractor by yourselves with an old telescopic car antenna and a knitting needle.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/186160/
    Pics do not work anymore
    But here you can see how such thing looks
    http://www.action-electronics.com/grc/ca40746.jpg
    PIN EXTRACTION TOOL
    To extract pins from CPC connectors
    # 305183 AMP#305183

Default And get ready to be burned

Last time I bought a connector from the dealer it came to $18.00 and all I got was one side of the connector and the 5 bullet pins. Can you say holy cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    some of the common Bosch type connectors at most auto shops, and the rest it will be off to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    The dealer has them all for small money.
    Or here
    http://www.action-electronics.com/ampcpc.htm#Extract
    Just yesterday I bought one from the aux fan switch on the right side of the radiator.
    The oxy sensor connector is broken inside, there is a plastic ring which breaks, then you can pull out the plug without unscrewing
    But you need a special extraction tool.
    All plugs are from AMP-Tyco and there is a special tool, which costs about 50 $.
    But you can make such a wire extractor by yourselves with an old telescopic car antenna and a knitting needle.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/186160/
    Pics do not work anymore
    But here you can see how such thing looks
    http://www.action-electronics.com/grc/ca40746.jpg
    PIN EXTRACTION TOOL
    To extract pins from CPC connectors
    # 305183 AMP#305183
    Does anyone know of a trick to releasing the pins from the old three pin connector goiing to my oil level sender? The three pins are not circular in shape as in the demonstrations you posted. They have two split square shaped metal blades. I do not think I could fit a hollow antenna over these pins in order to release them.

I guess I could cut the old damaged connector apart in order to free up the three pins for insertion into the new connector. It would be a lot easier to find a way to release them though because there is not much room under the car to cut the old connector apart. Does anyone know how I can release these pins in order to install them in the new connector?
    92 525i w/ Eibach lowering, Bilsteins, KMAC, Dinan chip, low temp coolant switch, K&N replacement air filter, UUC short shifter, RD strut brace, blacked out, 17" Borbets

Once the connector itself is unlocked, the pins are usually released with a special tool that looks like a little two pronged fork. Same type of tool is used for fuse blade connectors and the like. I don't have a picture or a part number, and there are multiple sizes of this kind of tool, so that info might not be of much help. But, basically, I'd figure out where the retaining tabs are on the pin and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalevera
    Once the connector itself is unlocked, the pins are usually released with a special tool that looks like a little two pronged fork. Same type of tool is used for fuse blade connectors and the like. I don't have a picture or a part number, and there are multiple sizes of this kind of tool, so that info might not be of much help. But, basically, I'd figure out where the retaining tabs are on the pin and go from there.
    This three prong/pin connector is one solid piece and does not unlock, unless by unlock you mean disconnect or unplug. I am hoping to avoid buying a tool to release the pins/prongs since I do not think I will be doing this very often. I tried releasing the pins/prongs with a variety of implements including pins, small nails and a hair pin. Does anyone know of a way to release the pins with readily available implements.

Default Dental pick

will be able to release the pin on the wiring harness side, on the sensor side...it's molded together.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast