GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fuel smell in garage

no I didn't just been chillin waiting for more stuff to arrive. Going to be a huge wrenching session one of these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Incantation
    did you solve this problem? i just found the solution for mine.. i can tell you exactly what you need to check..
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

k u have two fuel lines coming from the tank.. first place to check is the seal above both fuel pumps. easy to do:
    - remove rear center console
    - remove back seat.. 10mm hex for both, one on each side of seat (inner and outer)
    - look on top for signs of leakage.. tighten if necessary

2. check fuel filters:
    - jack up rear left side, look under car, forward of the rear tire, you will find two canisters.. there are a bunch of hose clamps there.. tighten em all

3. check fuel lines by motor:
    - i would work backwards (from the top of the motor as it's easier) first:
    - remove the cover to the motor (4 phillips bolts, they're the type you turn 90 degrees and they come off
    - remove air filter for air con:
    -- two bolts on the left and right side of the unit need to come off (you will need 8mm socket plus long extension to make this easy). the bolts are under the top overhand on the side of the unit
    --3 10mm bolts come off from the top cover
    --1(one) 9mm bolt in the center by the base of the passenger windshield wiper has to be loosened (doesn't have to come off)

so now it's off.. look behind the motor you will see dual lines connection to dual pipes:
    - there will be 4 hose clamps directly behind the motor on the drivers' side.. tighten em up good.. make sure u have spares in case u strip em.
    - there are 2 more if you follow the line down by the drivers' side in the direction of the power steering pump. a bit of a pain to get at, but do those up too.
    - the last two are reachable from the underside of the motor.. but first u have to take off some shielding first.. there's a metal plate you will find, it's all 10mm bolts to undo it, and i wouldn't even bother putting the plate back on.. does fuk all anyway. anyway, if you can't find the last 2 hose clamps, just follow the fuel lines from the back of the car by the fuel filter to the front and see where they go. bitch to get at.. but something to troubleshoot

4. check the connection to the fuel rails.. i've not done this myself.. didn't have to. a bit trickier than the process thus far.. i would leave it unless you do the above and the car still stinks

i think that's it.. if u have any q's fire away (it's an easy job)
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12