GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to Lower Touring

Default Want to Lower Touring

Okay all you touring owners...I've looked everywhere and still can't find the answer. I want to lower my touring 1" IN THE FRONT ONLY! The Bently shows how to lower the rear by adjusting the auto-leveling suspension. Every spring kit I've seen is for 4 springs. I even emailed Yyves @ BMA and he wanted to sell me the Sachs kit. I don't wnt to spend $700.00 and throw away half of the parts!
    Anyone out there lower their touring? Please let me know how.

Buy the sachs kit, install the fronts and keep the rears for when your LAD fails.

I ordered mine last week. Patrick had one kit left after I bought mine (at that point).

Yeah Kal...so far that's the the best solution I've seen, but I haven't read anything good about deleting the LAD which I presume one would have to do in order to use the Sachs stuff. Besides the PO was nice enought to have the hydrolics replaced about 10,000 miles ago. :-)

If you only need a 1" drop, order a set of M-Tech front springs from your favorite supplier of BMW parts (on-line or otherwise.)

Here's a link to an article on these: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...uspensions.htm

This way you have two options when you do the rears. Option 1: get M-Tech springs for the SLS Rear or Option 2: Get M-Tech springs for the non-SLS Rear.

Here's the part number for your car:
    BMW Technic Front Spring Assembly 31 33 1 138 810

If you want to make it a bit lower, use the 3mm upper front pads, instead of the 9mm stock pads. (Note: These numbers are from the M5 parts list):

FRONT SPRING PAD UPPER 3mm 31 33 1 128 523

The springs cost me $111.00 each the pads were like $4.00 from Maximilian Imports.

Here's some photos for reference:

Front before an after:

Front with Style 32's installed:

On my car the most of the SLS System was leaking or trashed so deleting the SLS was the only option. I really didn't want to do it.

Fortunately, the M-Tech springs combined with Bilstein HD's came out great and the car handles better than it ever did. I've got about 1000 miles on the setup so far and no regrets.

Or just go to the dealer and order the front M-tech springs.

Right, I agree -- I've driven a lot of cars (usually with bilsteins and "sport" springs that were sold to an unsuspecting owner) that have had LAD deletes and they've all been pretty bad. LAD is great.

I've always liked the sachs kit in my 535. The car handles amazingly well with uprated sways, it's predictable and it's comfortable for a sport suspension. Better yet, you can align the car and have it stay in spec because the kit is matched to the chassis. LAD parts are expensive. I just warrantied a shock -- the lady that owned the car prior to me had a garage replace one and it blew out again (between you and me, they installed it incorrectly). She paid $900+ for one shock, I was invoiced $700 for the part (covered by warranty, of course).

Were I faced with the decision of replacing them out of pocket, I'm not sure that it would be worth it given the sachs kit option, and the availability of factory non-LAD touring parts -- '94/'95 don't have self leveling. I know of only one person who's installed the sachs kit on a touring, and I haven't heard his impressions of it yet.

I'm going to try it out and see what I think of it. My only real concern is weight bias and keeping the headlights level with a lot of weight on the rear axle, which is the entire purpose of LAD.

IF you are worried about the headlights under load with an SLS Delete, you could always install Hella Smileys WITH adjuster motors and adjuster switch... works great.

Default Final Solution

Finally, after much searching and many calls, I got the Touring lowered.
    I bought Mtech springs and Boge shocks from BMA for the front only. The whole deal came to roughly $400.00 with new 3mm upper spring pads, new bump stops and strut carrier bolts.
    I threw them in yesterday with just hand tools and a pair of Craftsman spring compressors. Put on new pads and rotors while I was in there. The whole job took about 8 hours including a parts/beer run.
    Wow...what a difference! The front is now approx 1 1/4" lower which looks perfect. The car now sits level because the rear has always seemed a little lower. It corners like it's on rails and the ride is certainly a little firmer but comfort was not compromised in the least. It is diffinatly the hot ticket for anyone wanting to drop a Touring without messing with the LAD!

Default How much was the Mtechs

Gotta do my Touring's struts, and that sounds like a nice compromise over throwing in a set of Eibachs.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Our 95 525i Touring has a pretty harsh ride over the bumps even with recent stock shocks courtesy of the P/O & original springs. I assume that the touring has stiffer rate springs to handle the load its capable of carrying but I would like to soften up the ride abit. I installed M-Tech springs/Boge Turbo Gas shocks on my 90 535i & the ride is much more compliant over the bumps then the Touring. Would the Touring M-Tech springs be stiffer then the stock springs or are you using the sport springs designed for the sedan?
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast