GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: jacking Honda Accord

Default OT: jacking Honda Accord

I need to put a 2000 accord onto jack stand to replace front brakes. I use the car's jack to raise the car up but there's not enough room to replace it with the jack stand(base too wide). Is it safe to change out the brakes without the jack stand? What should I do?

Damn. I thought you said you wanted to steal an accord lol... bump!
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

There has to be some sort of front crossmember or sturdy part of the frame to rest the car on. Look beyond the standard jacking points and maybe slide the jack stands in from the front if you have to. I would not risk my health/life to even a 3 ton floor jack, let alone a rinky dink one. Hopefully someone here will know the underbelly of an accord and provide some insight. I have yet to encounter a vehicle that couldn't be safely raised.

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Servicing the brakes while the car is supported by the tiny scissor jack is probably not a good idea. It has a very small area of contact and may collapse/twist if you find it necessary to apply force to the suspension/brake components (like removing caliper mounting bolts, carrier bolts, knocking the brake disk off the hub if frozen, etc.) The best way to do it would be to get a hydraulic floor jack and raise the car further up. Most Honda cars, from what I've seen, can be raised at the front using the tow-hook area (if present). Also, look for beefy subframe attachment points at the front as those can serve as lift points as well. HTH

I couldn't wait so I got it done, but still need to find a better solution than what I had.

In that situation, I'd put jack stand under the lower control arm as close to the brake disc as possible without crushing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    In that situation, I'd put jack stand under the lower control arm as close to the brake disc as possible without crushing anything.
    That would work if the jack that is used to lift the car can lift it high enough. Most jack-stands work from a height of 12-14" minimum. The unloaded suspension would be lower than that with the use of the OEM tire change jack. I've found that many newer cars have square rails that span the unibody from front to back. These are usually strong enough to be used as jackstand support points and might work even with the OEM jacks.