GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rim size / ride height advice needed

Default Rim size / ride height advice needed

Ok, I'm seriously considering getting a set of 18" M-par replicas with tires from Lakshore. I can probably get a wheel/tire package for around $1100 shipped. And IMO m-pars on a e34 look sweet.

I've got two problems... First, my car is stock height. Even though the overall diameter of the tire is the same, and there's the same space between the tire and fender with stock 15's or 18's (in theory), it always seems to look funny when you put 18's on the car compared to the stock 15's.

Now, I like stock height. I've had my share of dropped cars and really don't want to "drop" my car. I want it as stock as possible, but I want it to look good with the m-pars if I get them. I want the ride to be as close to stock comfort as possible.

So, does anyone have any experience with putting 18's on a stock height car? Did it need to be lowered some? What are the best aftermarket springs that lower the car the least and keep the ride as close to stock as possible? I was thinking of ordering M5 springs and upper and lower spring pads and wondering if that would lower it enough for the m-pars.

And the second issue is the front end. I've heard the horror stories about switching to 18's and now you feel all the flaws in the front end. I'm guessing because you have less sidewall to cushion the imperfections. Any thoughts on this?

He'res a couple pics that show my stock ride height.

You're welcome to fit my tStars sometime for an idea of how it'll look & ride. I've got Eibach prokit springs on my 535. The Eibach sportlines are very short, if I remember correctly.
    erased due to slander

Didn't you post this a long time ago?

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/228165
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Didn't you post this a long time ago?

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/228165
    Sort of, the questions are similar. Hopefully I can get some helpful answers this time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    You're welcome to fit my tStars sometime for an idea of how it'll look & ride. I've got Eibach prokit springs on my 535. The Eibach sportlines are very short, if I remember correctly.
    Thanks Martin! It would be nice to see what they look like on, kind of give me an idea on where I need to go suspension wise.

When I bought my car, it had the mpars on there on stock suspension. I rode fine, no "front end" problems.... but I really didn't like the look. so I lowered it with eibachs.

If you want the closest to stock ride.... either M5 suspension or Bavauto would do it.

Does anyone know how much the bavauto springs lower front and rear? I think I remember it was 3/4 in the rear and a little over an inch in front.

Also, I've heard that the bavauto springs are softer than stock and actually bottom out.

And what about wear over time, does anyone know if they hold their initial height or do they sag over time?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get the most info I can so I don't do something I regret later.

Bottoming out is not the springs.. it would be your shocks. It's possible that you've heard this from the 8cyl owners.. since the v8 engine is so much heavier. Get some quality shocks and you should be fine.

Here's some good reading.

EDIT: ok.. maybe that site is where you heard the bottoming out... HERE
    Last edited by E34N; 05-04-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Fitted staggered OEM M-Pars to my stock height touring with no issues.

Don't go Bavauto spring... everyone hates them. If you do want to lower your car slightly it is M-Tech springs from your dealer... Are you sure you don't have it already? Is your car stick shift?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast