GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to resolve some bad gas?

Default How to resolve some bad gas?

Immediately after filling up at some stop 'n rob I hadn't been to before, it starts pinging & running poorly. Since then, I have pumped out 3/4 of the tank, into garage gas cans & the minivan. I swapped in a new fuel filter just a while ago, after filling up with 92 octane at the usual known gas station. I also replaced the spark plugs, cap & rotor, & reinstalled the original coil & chip. The other ignition coil was a spare from a parted car of last fall. I checked the gap of the crank sensor. The MAF worked on Jeff's car since the pinging started.

I did, immediately after the pinging started, look up Winfred's posts regarding sucking a few ounces of water though the intake. I sucked a few ounces though the intake at above 3,000 rpm. A plume of smoke was created & kinda lingers.

Have I missed anything in resolving this?

Could I have jumped timing on the m30? Does that happen? It will rev up pull to redline, just not happy about off idle through midrange.
    erased due to slander

Throw in a can of gas line anitfreeze (Heet). It's just alcohol, mixes with water and burns off. Voila.. Water is gone from your tank.

Default I don't know anything about your maf conversion but could the

settings on the maf have altered? If you richen it up a notch does it help?
    Or could the gas have contaminated your o2 sensor giving you a false reading now... You've looked at all the usual suspects, vacum leak between the maf and the throttle body...or any other manifold vacum leaks...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    Immediately after filling up at some stop 'n rob I hadn't been to before, it starts pinging & running poorly. Since then, I have pumped out 3/4 of the tank, into garage gas cans & the minivan. I swapped in a new fuel filter just a while ago, after filling up with 92 octane at the usual known gas station. I also replaced the spark plugs, cap & rotor, & reinstalled the original coil & chip. The other ignition coil was a spare from a parted car of last fall. I checked the gap of the crank sensor. The MAF worked on Jeff's car since the pinging started.

I did, immediately after the pinging started, look up Winfred's posts regarding sucking a few ounces of water though the intake. I sucked a few ounces though the intake at above 3,000 rpm. A plume of smoke was created & kinda lingers.

Have I missed anything in resolving this?

Could I have jumped timing on the m30? Does that happen? It will rev up pull to redline, just not happy about off idle through midrange.

Default I'll pick up a new o2 sensor & water absorber for the gas tank today.

I've checked for vacuum leaks. The MAF ran well on Jeff's car the other day, since the problem started with my car, seeming to not be the cause of problems.

I was stunned at how immediate the problem occurred with the bad gas.

Thanks for the ideas, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Or could the gas have contaminated your o2 sensor giving you a false reading now... You've looked at all the usual suspects, vacum leak between the maf and the throttle body...or any other manifold vacum leaks...
    erased due to slander

Default tried any fuel injection cleaner?

I like Techron - in the bottle. Techroline from the gas pump is diluted.
    also heard Redline has a similar product.

I take beano for bad gas

Default Off idle through to midrange? Thats not a

MM head right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.

So, just as a refresher, how does the m30 run when say, the headgasket fails between a pair of cylinders?

Yeah, I went ahead & put a call in to bma for a gasket, bolts & such. I've been thinking about a "preventative" head gasket job for a while.

The plugs don't read this too likely. I don't think this is necessarily the issue.
    Last edited by Martin in Bellevue; 05-06-2004 at 03:37 PM. Reason: brainfart
    erased due to slander

Martin...I have some bad news. When you and Jeff were doing all the baton passing with your car parts, Jeff dropped the MAF during the hand off. I have no choice but to bench him for the summer games.
    George...aka Hanky Sr.

oh...and be sure to listen to Thunderman's advice about "bad gas".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast