GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: coolant leak help!!

Default coolant leak help!! UPDATE with pics!!

I had a coolant leak for a while, so last week I thought I replaced everything that I needed to fix the problem (i.e. new Behr radiator, upper and lower hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing, aux fan switch.) Yet, the problem still persists. From what I can tell, the seems to be a small leak from the aux fan switch hole and a bigger leak from somewhere under the car towards the rear of the engine. My questions are this:

1) should I just use that thread tape stuff use in plumbing and wrap it around the aux fan switch threads??

2) what should I be looking for when I put the car up on jack stands this weekend??? I have never looked in that particular area of the car so I have no idea what it could possibly be.

Thanks for the help!!

gamjohn2
    Last edited by gamjohn2; 05-06-2007 at 11:45 PM.

Default Coolant leak

Try looking at the heater valves and aux. water pump up by the fuse box. I'm in the middle of replacing the aux pump. There are lots of hoses in that area. Don't forget to check out that 4 way hose that runs under the intake manifold.

If you don't find anything, look closely at the condensate drain tubes either side of the transmission towards the front for signs of antifreeze, if so you have a heater core leak. That is a fun job, ask me how I know.

Warren
    88 325iX
    91 318is
    95 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by gamjohn2
    2) what should I be looking for when I put the car up on jack stands this weekend??? I have never looked in that particular area of the car so I have no idea what it could possibly be.

gamjohn2
    Sadly, my leak was due to a failed headgasket that leaked at the back of the engine (above the block drain) but it is something for you to check... I really hope yours is a more simple problem.

Scott
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

Theres the hoses in the rear to look at, block off plate on the head, and the freeze plug on the engine block(need to removed trans/torq converter and flywheel to see it....Check everything else that everyone mentioned..Do you have a pressure tester to pressurize the cooling system?? If not, get one so its no hot coolant....

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully, it will be a simple fix as opposed to an expensive nightmare. I'm inclined to believe that it's a hose leaking because I saw there was a steady drip coming from that area when I was having my tire changed this week (damn tire bulge!!). It was dripping about once per 10 - 12 secs. We'll see, wish me luck.

gamjohn2

OK, so I couldn't exactly see where the leak was from the bottom, but my dad helped me today and it looks like we found the culprit by looking from the top. There seems to be a hose that is leaking posterior to the engine. My questions are these:
    1) Can someone please help me find a part number for this hose?? I can't seem to decide which one it is as none of the ones listed match the shape of the actual hose.
    2) What is this hose connected to near the center of the engine?? Is the attachment point another issue I may have to replace, or please just tell me it's just metal under there??
    Pics attached to help you see what I'm talking about. Any insight is very appreciated. Thanks fellas.

gamjohn2
    Attached Images Attached Images   

close-up of the culprit!!
    Attached Images Attached Images