GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT Bizarre receiver operation

Default OT Bizarre receiver operation

K, I have an old receiver in my barn/shop. reception was real bad so I installed an antenna on the roof (old car antenna with coax).

Well... the tuner squished all the stations between 92-104MHZ. like 101 fm is at 98... So I went out and picked up one of them high quality 120.00 antennas, risked my life crawling way up there again and hooked that one up...same freaking deal with the squished stations.

If I disconnect it and hook the old antenna up with a wire in the barn the stations correct themselves. I used 1 peice of shielded coax cable to do the long run to the peak of the roof if that matters any.

I dont mind or anything, I get a few stations now VS 1 staticy religeous talk show, just wondered WTF caused this.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    K, I have an old receiver in my barn/shop. reception was real bad so I installed an antenna on the roof (old car antenna with coax).

Well... the tuner squished all the stations between 92-104MHZ. like 101 fm is at 98... So I went out and picked up one of them high quality 120.00 antennas, risked my life crawling way up there again and hooked that one up...same freaking deal with the squished stations.

If I disconnect it and hook the old antenna up with a wire in the barn the stations correct themselves. I used 1 peice of shielded coax cable to do the long run to the peak of the roof if that matters any.

I dont mind or anything, I get a few stations now VS 1 staticy religeous talk show, just wondered WTF caused this.
    It may have something to do with the physical length of the coax you are using not being 'tuned' to the frequency you are using. The coax may now be acting as the antenna itself but as you dont have a big lump of flat metal, like a car roof, into which your antenna is bolted, you are missing a big part of the antenna system (ground plane). Hence weak reception. Sorry if you fell asleep half way through that :-)

the coax is ran along the side of the barn up to the roof and the barns walls are steel so would that count as a ground plane?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    It may have something to do with the physical length of the coax you are using not being 'tuned' to the frequency you are using. The coax may now be acting as the antenna itself but as you dont have a big lump of flat metal, like a car roof, into which your antenna is bolted, you are missing a big part of the antenna system (ground plane). Hence weak reception. Sorry if you fell asleep half way through that :-)
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

How many beers did it take to get the courage to crawl up on the roof?

it has to be analog tuner then right?
    I have 0 technical idea on this but to float an Idea:

Prerhaps in adding the long coax run you somehow affected the inpedence the unit was designed to have on the antenna, and thus the tuning is off?

just an old stereo hooked to a stage system amp and 4 speakers.

the coax is the same as a direct sheilded wire and the antenna is supposed to be dead nuts on (full FM hertz range) Maybe I do need a ground block or some ****. I guess this is one advantage of living in the stix but not sure why yet.

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle
    it has to be analog tuner then right?
    I have 0 technical idea on this but to float an Idea:

Prerhaps in adding the long coax run you somehow affected the inpedence the unit was designed to have on the antenna, and thus the tuning is off?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Jeff,

I suspect that your problem is in the receiver itself. Many old recievers use a wire, a rubber band or a cord to tie the analog indicator to the dial. It's likely that yours has slipped or stretched and while the tuner is at 98 the indicator is 3 steps off. I used to have an old Marantz tuner that this happened to.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

1994 e34 530i Eibachs/KYB
    0 miles on new windshield

what is the ohm-age of the cable that you are doing this with (colloquially, rg-58, rg-59, rg-6). did the antenna you bought have a balun or transformer to convert from twinlead to coax? having done far too much of this mess between the ages of 10 and 14, it sounds like it is a receiver problem, not a decoupling or antenna problem.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

naww, works right on if I hook a lamp cord into the car antenna inside the barn, dont get good reception in here tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard
    Jeff,

I suspect that your problem is in the receiver itself. Many old recievers use a wire, a rubber band or a cord to tie the analog indicator to the dial. It's likely that yours has slipped or stretched and while the tuner is at 98 the indicator is 3 steps off. I used to have an old Marantz tuner that this happened to.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

RG-6 cable. The antenna came with a length of cable (RG-6) but it was about 15 feet too short so I had to make a longer one.

The receiver I have has only 1 lead for antenna and 1 ground, I hooked the coax direct and with a filter tieing both together and made NO difference.

Im thinking the new antenna is making the receiver stoned and not able to comprehend a good antenna.

You are probably onto something with a transformer and my receiver only having 1 antenna lead. Maybe it's just too old but it sounds freaking awesome with the current setup....maybe its just the combination of amp and speakers.

Just too weird how it "compresses" the dial into a smaller range. Its all there just compact now...lol

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    what is the ohm-age of the cable that you are doing this with (colloquially, rg-58, rg-59, rg-6). did the antenna you bought have a balun or transformer to convert from twinlead to coax? having done far too much of this mess between the ages of 10 and 14, it sounds like it is a receiver problem, not a decoupling or antenna problem.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast