GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT PC won't boot

Default OT PC won't boot

Hi Everyone

I was hoping someone might be able to help.

My daughter's PC won't boot up, it gets as far as saying that it is a 900 Mhz AMD Duron and that the system health is OK and then sits there saying "checking NVRAM..."

Anyone have a clue

Thanks in advance
    All the best

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobHarris
    "checking NVRAM..."
    NVRAM is usually the bios' flash area...
    Try a bios reset if you're happy with going inside the computer case... it may fix it.

If it doesnt, you're going to have to start pulling components and finding which ones causing the bios lockup...

Yeah, at least first try removing all external devices (USB, etc) except for your mouse and keyboard. I have an external hard drive that won't let me boot when it's plugged in...
    _

Any changes to the system recently, like a bios update or new memory?

Unplug everything from the case - everything. Let it sit a few minutes then reconnect just the basics - monitor, power, keyboard. Does it boot?

That failing, open up the case after you disconnect everything (including the power). If there is a cmos battery that you can remove, pull it. Let the machine sit for a minute or so and drop it back in. There is a chance that the cmos battery is dead but if it's a standard one Radio Shack (or Batteries Plus) will have them for a couple of bucks.

You can also:
    Open the case, disconnect the power from the motherboard. Then disconnect each of the connectors, wait a few seconds then reconnect. When you're done connect the power back to the motherboard, close the case, try it again. This is my "when all else fails" trick that can work unless something inside gave up the ghost.

YeaH, reset the bios.

Crack open the pc case, get the motherboard model, get a manual online or maybe you have one from when you bought it and find out what it takes to reset the bios. From there, take out individual components until it boots again.

Guessing what computer and motherboard you have limits help. Post the computer model number or the model number on the motherboard itself if you can.

Either you added hardware, have IRQ's stomping on each other with existing addon cards, or your power supply is failing.

Quickest remedy is to pull the round battery off of the motherboard and let it sit for a minute. Pop the battery back in. Power it on. If you get beyond that screen, and are able to boot. Then good, but not optimal. Next would be a bios flash update. And then you are golden.

If you still cannot power on, then your power supply may be failing. You can pick up a new one at newegg.com or price chaeck for one at pricewatch.com. Thermaltake and Corsair are good ones. Unless it's under warranty, then you ship the thing back to them after 8 hours talking to an Indian laborer. And that's about it. Good luck.

You might need a new lithium coin battery for the NVRAM (which is also known as CMOS RAM) I had this problem a few years back.

Does your PC keep good time or does it never know what time/date it is? (The lithium battery powers a clock as well as the CMOS RAM).

The lithium battery provides a tiny amount of power to the CMOS RAm, even when the PC is turned off. If you can change the lithium battery fairly quickly (say a few seconds) then an on-board capacitor will keep the CMOS RAM powered while you swap the lithium battery and you won't need to re-enter all your CMOS settings. If too slow then you'd better make a note of your settings so you can re-enter them once you've got the new batttery installed.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoreauHD
    Guessing what computer and motherboard you have limits help. Post the computer model number or the model number on the motherboard itself if you can.

Either you added hardware, have IRQ's stomping on each other with existing addon cards, or your power supply is failing.

Quickest remedy is to pull the round battery off of the motherboard and let it sit for a minute. Pop the battery back in. Power it on. If you get beyond that screen, and are able to boot. Then good, but not optimal. Next would be a bios flash update. And then you are golden.

If you still cannot power on, then your power supply may be failing. You can pick up a new one at newegg.com or price chaeck for one at pricewatch.com. Thermaltake and Corsair are good ones. Unless it's under warranty, then you ship the thing back to them after 8 hours talking to an Indian laborer. And that's about it. Good luck.
    Sorry it's been so long

I pulled the cmos battery, replaced it after a couple of minutes and tried again, exactly the same as before. The bios is AMI circa 1999.

The machine was bought in 2001 so it is well out of warranty.

Surely if the power supply was the problem it would work or it would be totally dead, or am I missing something?
    All the best

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobHarris
    Sorry it's been so long

I pulled the cmos battery, replaced it after a couple of minutes and tried again, exactly the same as before. The bios is AMI circa 1999.

The machine was bought in 2001 so it is well out of warranty.

Surely if the power supply was the problem it would work or it would be totally dead, or am I missing something?
    taking off the battery for a couple of minutes might not be enough. Some motherboards take hours to "forget" the settings. I would recommend taking the battery off for 12 hours to be sure.
    Power supply could be the issue, but I would expect it to pass the POST screen and go to windows before exhibiting any problems.
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422

Quote Originally Posted by t_marat
    taking off the battery for a couple of minutes might not be enough. Some motherboards take hours to "forget" the settings. I would recommend taking the battery off for 12 hours to be sure.
    Power supply could be the issue, but I would expect it to pass the POST screen and go to windows before exhibiting any problems.

Ok I'll give that a go then.

Thanks
    All the best

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast