GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E30 Drift Car

Default E30 Drift Car

Dear All,

First time I've posted on the E30 part of this forum, so Hi to all you guys who don't visit the E34 section!!!

Anyhoo, my 'journey' with BMW started many years ago, when my father got a 1980's 735I - BEAST of a car with all the refinements.

Later I went out with friends who had bimmers, one even had an E30 with a 2.8 B10 lump in it - what a monster!

Anyhoo - My first BMW was a rather clean 1983 E30 320I, which has been sitting in a garage for around 6 months since I got my latest bimmer, and E34 535I SE....

....So the other day I decided enough was enough and reaslised that the 320i would be perfect for a 'toy' - namely something I can use on my extensive estate for a bit of 'off-road' fun and 'drifting'.

I have started by completely stripping the interior. Everything - including the dash and head-lining have been removed. I have taken off both front and rear bumpers, all lights, glass, basically EVERYTHING..she now sits around 6 inches higher!!!

The engine has done 130,000miles (not bad for an '83 reg) and before laying her up 6 months ago I changed the timing belt, fan belts, and all the filters/fluids....

(will post some pictures as soon as I get round to it)

Questions;

1) Is there anything else I should be thinking about doing in order to get the best performance out of the 2.0Litre Straight 6 engine?

2) What difference (if any) will cutting the exhaust off from the down-pipe make?

3) Obviously, keeping the car at around 5-6000 RPM for extended periods of time in 2nd gear heats the engine up quickly - (and I have removed the interior heating system - having attached a 'U' tube to the engine block) - should I remove the engine thermostat and allow the water to flow from engine cold? - Are there any other ways of cooling the engine down 'better'?

I was also thinking about the viscous fan coupling - whereby the fan only comes on when the engine is hot - can I override this? - allowing the fan to turn from start?

Will any of the above **** my engine up?

Obviously this car is not meant to be road legal - It is merely a 'fun thing' for the weekends, but at the same time I don't want to spend too much on it AND I'd rather not blow the car up within 15 minutes of getting her back 'OFF the road' - so to speak.

Have also noticed that the gear change is a bit sloppy (gear lever moving around quiet a bit) - is there a bearing or something that is causing this?

What things are likely to fail quickly on the car (bearing in mind she will be going 'off-road' in some fields and burning rubber). I'm thinking suspension, clutch and (naturally) tyres.....

What can I do about this (taking into consideration the budget constraints). Can I just weld the suspension up solid? The extra ride- height is cool for off-road, but would I be better served cutting the springs and dropping her by 30-40mm?

All your help and (constructful) comments would be greatly appreciated.

Moo for now

Flamin'Cow

Sounds like a BLAST!!!

The shifter mechanism is likely worn bushings / broken nylon cup in the shifter, etc.. probably not worth fixing. For cooling, if you're not in an area where it will freeze now (not likely) then run a higher amount of water, less coolant. Water is a better conductor of heat. Make sure the rad is clean and clear of debris. Make sure the fan shroud is in place; it does a lot to control air flow. Make sure the thermostat is not stuck.

Suspension: heating springs = bad. It doesn't increase the spring rate but shortens the throw, so you have lower ride, less ride height, but just as soft of a spring. My advice for the super-budget-mobile? Trailering clamps. Their about $5 a set.. available at most auto stores. They're usually used to clamp open a spring to prevent them from riding too low with a trailer. Clamp one rung of your springs shut for increased spring rate. Clamp it in two places for even lower ride, stiffer rate.

w00t for having fun with an e30.. props!

Default RE: the 'Slag'

Thanks for your help - I have taken off the rad and flushed the whole system through - I'll just fill her up with water when I put that back on.

Have attached a couple of photos from the other day - see hoe high she rides!!!

I have a couple of (old) bucket seats I'm gonna chuck in her...

Another quick question, you'll notice I've removed the bonnet, how much extra rigidity does that give the chassis? - I mean, will the car flex and twist now that the hood isn't there?

Was thinking of re-attaching the hood with bonnet pins and maybe using some scaffolding pole to weld up some strut braces? - good idea?

Piccies follow:

By the way - I have taken the main beam lights and put them in the headlight holes - SUPER BRIGHT!!!

All the best

Flamin'Cow

Awesome!!! I don't think the hood does anything at all..

that's weird that i read this post yesturday and now yours.... check this link out on a drifting forum it might give you some help with your car or just check out this site. here's where the drifting brains rome .... http://www.drifting.com/forums/archi...php/t-625.html