GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Diagnosing wheel bearing

Default Diagnosing wheel bearing

I'm about to take the car into the barn and check things out. It started as a slight metalic squeeling, then like a scraping kinda like a brake pad wear sound then worse. At first I thought it was brake pads cause it went away if I would hit the brake then it didnt. Sounds like garbage is rubbing metal to metal, no whirring or humming though. How can I tell if its a bearing or is it obvious? How to test if not?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

ure sure that your brake sliding hardware hasn't just taken a dump? i would think that mere brake pressure wouldn't get rid of the sound from a dying bearing, and that it would be continuous. i was gonna ask if it did it with the gas on or off, it seems a lot of people are having back bearing/cv joint issues right now. i lucked out and found it was a cv joint and not a bearing back there.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I'm about to take the car into the barn and check things out. It started as a slight metalic squeeling, then like a scraping kinda like a brake pad wear sound then worse. At first I thought it was brake pads cause it went away if I would hit the brake then it didnt. Sounds like garbage is rubbing metal to metal, no whirring or humming though. How can I tell if its a bearing or is it obvious? How to test if not?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Do you remember my post a few days back about the only things I did to the car besides tires was brakes and thrust arms? Well I am still lucky with this thing, it was a tiny stone that was trapped between the lower ball joint and the braking backing plate that pushed it into the rotor...whew! I'm goin to get some tools and see if I can bleed my brakes in gratitude of no serious problems. Maybe if it goes good I'll update my mileage in my signature tonight. LOL
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Bled brakes with Brunos bleeder, nice addition to my collection,

also did the battery disconnect to ground with key in II position, only thing I noticed so far is I had to enter radio code and reset the time. I will know more tomorrow I suppose.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy