GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT question about installing Windows XP

Default OT question about installing Windows XP

We recently purchased a refurb Dell laptop and received an XP Professional reinstallation disk. When I loaded the disk in my desktop that's running 98SE and ran a compatability check, it said that it could not upgrade from 98SE to XP. My question is this: If I reformat the drive and then insert the XP Pro disk, will I be able to install XP on my desktop? We've been running XP on a newer desktop and I really like the restore function. Anyone who's dealt with 98 will know why. I also like that everything you plug into an XP machine just works...no drivers to find. The scary thing is that once I reformat the drive, it's pretty much the point of no return. The couple of times I've had to reinstall 98SE, it's taken a few days to get everything loaded back up and running properly. I don't even know if it would be possible now that MS has quite supporting 98. So, I'm seeking some expert advice here before I really mess something up that I'll regret.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

If your XP Professional disk is NOT an "upgrade" install, then you should be able to install it just like you would normally. You should have an OEM license key as well. Also, if you received the WinXP with your laptop, you might run into issues if you try to install it on another machine. Mainly, MS may block online activation if the license key is used multiple times (ie your laptop is running the same license key already). Since you say your desktop is running windows 98, I'd be weary of installing XP on it. Does it have at least 256mb of RAM and a fast processor?

To check if you can launch the XP installation you can try to boot from CD (check your BIOS boot-sequence to make sure your CD-ROM is read before the primary drive). If it brings you to the installation screen, you will probably be able to install XP. However, what I said about license keys still holds true. The installation will only ask you for the key AFTER formatting your drive....so you'd be SOL if it is rejected or unable to activate online. HTH

Default The old desktop should have the HP to run XP

My old desktop has an AMD 1 Ghz processor and 256 Mg of RAM. As far as the online activation, yeah, that's something I was thinking about. It would be a total bummer to get it installed and then find out that MS wasn't going to activate it.

I'm not at all disappointed with the way 98SE runs on the machine now. It's actually quite fast. But with 98SE, there's always the possiblity of turning the machine on and having it crash on any given day. It seriously ruins your day (and the next few days afterwards too.) That's why I really like the restore function of XP. I've already used it once on the wife's newer desktop and it was very nice to be able to do so. That's really the main reason I'd even consider putting it on mine. I suppose I'll let a few others chime in and see what the consensus is.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

1 Ghz and 256 mb ram is plenty for XP... my dad ran a celeron 466 mHz and 256 mb ram with XP for a few years without problems. In comparison to the new vista, XP is a dream in terms of not using too much processing power If a setback for you is putting all your files back on, I highly recommend using an external hard drive for this process (as opposed to burning CDs), much faster.

As for how to upgrade... the correct way is to backup all files, insert the XP installation CD, restart your computer, and immediately press F2, F8, or F10, multiple times, (I'm not sure which one it is for your machine), and this will bring up the boot device selection menu. Select your CD drive, and the computer will boot from CD. Delete ALL partitions when prompted to do so, then install on the large "Unpartitioned space." Setup will continue from there. If you're concerned about activating XP Pro, I have a PM for you Take care
    _

sometimes dell and other name brands won't install from the cd if it's on the wrong machine.they check something in bios and if its not there they won't
    install

if you hv tried what the others advised and doesn't work then this is probably why

geoff

I do this in my sleep.
    First, your description of the error is lacking detail that would be needed for a more accurate response.
    A full install license CD will allow you to either upgrade existing windows or a clean install.
    An upgrade CD will alllow upgrade or clean install with proof of eligibility for upgrade. (at some point during a clean install, the upgrade disk will ask you to insert a previous copy of windows in order to continue)
    The idea that there is a compatibility issue may mean that a piece of hardware or software failed the compatibility test can be insignificant. If your old unused phone modem isn't compatible may not be a problem if you don't use it any more.
    six forward speeds

You WILL have to activate the copy to be legal and eligible for important updates like service pack 2. That is where your USB 2.0 drivers come from. Without it, your USB ports run at super slow speed. There are many hacker tricks to get the install done without activation, but it is tricky, technical, and is a nuisance. If you don't activate, your windows will lock you out after something like 30 days.
    You are entitled to ONE installation per license. Windows XP upgrade license is under $100, watch for promotions and you can get it for $50.

As far as win98 vs XP, no contest. If you can run XP, by all means do it. Remember that the RESTORE files are the target of most virus infections. You should be running AVGFree and ADAWARE, never Norton/Symantec products.
    Last edited by BuckNaked; 04-24-2007 at 06:02 AM.
    six forward speeds

I would be concerned about a laptop that is of win98 vintage and it possibly not handling winxp real well!

I put a brand new 20G HD in my Dell Ins 7500 (a 1999 laptop) and all the RAM it could take in the slots (512) and installed XP Pro flawlessly.

If you have a computer that came with 98, you should just replace the drive and upgrade the ram and move on. It probably came with only a 6G drive anyway. If you have a usb slave drive set up, you can just keep the old drive for your files and drag them over.

keep it simple and jam the ram in there

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38