GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowering springs and stock shocks

Default Lowering springs and stock shocks

Have often read here and elsewhere about the inadvisability of of using lowering springs with standard stock shocks. However this site which I believe to have good info says otherwise. The idea of using Eibach or Racing Dynamics springs with Boge shocks sound like a good compromise with price and firmness.

"There is a long held myth about so called lowering shocks or shocks designed for lowering springs with reduced travel versus shocks designed for standard or taller springs. The best way to visualize it without physically looking at the shocks side by side is...the only tangible difference is the stroke is shorter in a shock designed expressly for a lowering spring...the throw is shorter. Full jounce position or fully compressed shock position is exactly the same...that is the critical factor for bottoming...wh ere the jounce bumper fully compresses onto the top of the strut collar nut threaded onto the strut housing...that shoulder position is the same for either shock and each shock will identically compress into its cartridge casing. With a standard Boge shock lets say..the throw of the rod internal to the shock is a bit longer..that's all...so the shock is cabable of "extending" farther...at full suspension rebound or when the suspension arms are fully down with a taller spring. With a shorter spring..you don't need a longer throw shock...however..this is the important part...Is putting a standard Boge with longer travel with a lowering spring bad? Absolutely not...you just end up not using the full travel capability of standard shock with a shorter lowering spring... that's all. All the speculation of a standard shock..say Boge..wearing out faster with a lowering spring...is a myth. (From George Mann)"

Any opinions on this?

TIA

Im using the Sachs turbo something shocks and they work great.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMI
    Have often read here and elsewhere about the inadvisability of of using lowering springs with standard stock shocks. However this site which I believe to have good info says otherwise. The idea of using Eibach or Racing Dynamics springs with Boge shocks sound like a good compromise with price and firmness

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I got Eibachs

with Billies in the front and boge in the back.

No problems

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I got boge all around with Eibachs.. going on 2 years with no problems

I've got KYB's with Eibachs. One day no problems so far.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

1994 e34 530i Eibachs/KYB
    0 miles on new windshield

Quote Originally Posted by JMI
    Have often read here and elsewhere about the inadvisability of of using lowering springs with standard stock shocks. However this site which I believe to have good info says otherwise. The idea of using Eibach or Racing Dynamics springs with Boge shocks sound like a good compromise with price and firmness.

"There is a long held myth about so called lowering shocks or shocks designed for lowering springs with reduced travel versus shocks designed for standard or taller springs. The best way to visualize it without physically looking at the shocks side by side is...the only tangible difference is the stroke is shorter in a shock designed expressly for a lowering spring...the throw is shorter. Full jounce position or fully compressed shock position is exactly the same...that is the critical factor for bottoming...wh ere the jounce bumper fully compresses onto the top of the strut collar nut threaded onto the strut housing...that shoulder position is the same for either shock and each shock will identically compress into its cartridge casing. With a standard Boge shock lets say..the throw of the rod internal to the shock is a bit longer..that's all...so the shock is cabable of "extending" farther...at full suspension rebound or when the suspension arms are fully down with a taller spring. With a shorter spring..you don't need a longer throw shock...however..this is the important part...Is putting a standard Boge with longer travel with a lowering spring bad? Absolutely not...you just end up not using the full travel capability of standard shock with a shorter lowering spring... that's all. All the speculation of a standard shock..say Boge..wearing out faster with a lowering spring...is a myth. (From George Mann)"

Any opinions on this?

TIA

I am have Bilstein touring shocks/struts with Eibach lowering and love it. It gives me the aggressive stance and better handling without losing comfort. When I first installed the Eibach lowering springs, I put in Bilstein Sports. They were way too stiff and were bottoming out over bumps and pot holes. I thought I was going to lose some dental work and damage my car it was so bad. I later learned that you can open up the sports and cut the internal bump stop down to half the height in order to reduce the bottoming out. But, by the time I learned about it, I had already replaced the sports with touring and had sold the sports. I am very happy with the comfort AND handling.
    92 525i w/ Eibach lowering, Bilsteins, KMAC, Dinan chip, low temp coolant switch, K&N replacement air filter, UUC short shifter, RD strut brace, blacked out, 17" Borbets

Quote Originally Posted by E34N
    I got boge all around with Eibachs.. going on 2 years with no problems
    Ditto. Three, maybe four years now, no issues, never bottoms out.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

I also have Eibachs with Bilstein's, and so far haven't had a problem with them.

The ride and handling is a perfect compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Ditto. Three, maybe four years now, no issues, never bottoms out.
    Same here, Boge all around with Eibach for a year no issues so far.

I've got a set Eibach's with the OEM Boge shocks and the ride is perfect for me.

Excess within control...
    1995 BMW 525i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast