GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Temperature sensor testing with a variable resistor?

Default Temperature sensor testing with a variable resistor?

Has any one tested the temperature sensor circuit by replacing the sensor with a variable resistor? If the sensors works on a change in resistance I would think that replacing a sensor with a varible resistor one would see a change in the -35F that is normally seen in the display, by simply rotating the variable resistor.

I suppose so. You can't harm anything by trying it, as long as you get a VR that has a similar resistance range. Let us know how you get on.

ATB,

Shaun M

Default Tried no success

I tried a fixed resister in place of the sensor on the bumper and the -35F did not go away. The resistor was 690K ohms. I guessed at this based on some of the sensor data in the Bentley manual. I think the biggest problem I am having is that I really don't know what the resistance is on each sensor. By my count there are 7 sensors and 5 of them have a difference in their resistance. Only three kinds are shown in the Bentley manual. The rest of the information came from the klimaautomatik IHKA pdf that is floating around on the internet. The only problem with this manual is that it is in German. I know about 20 words of German and I can tell you none of them are technical. I guess the next sensor I will check will be found on the cover to the heater blower. Wonder if I can find the board where all of these sensors lead. Would make it easier to trouble shoot. Does anyone know? Can anyone translate some of the German words on the schematics?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE
    I suppose so. You can't harm anything by trying it, as long as you get a VR that has a similar resistance range. Let us know how you get on.

ATB,

Shaun M

the klimaautomatik IHKA pdf that is floating around on the internet. The only problem with this manual is that it is in German.
    I got it from someone in Germany and I asked David from Bimmerboard to put it on his server.

So what do you want to have translated from German to English?
    Post it here and I will translate, if it is not pages.
    You can also use altavista translation, I know it is not perfect, but it helps.
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/

If you cannot copy from the internet link, type the words or sentences into the altavista system