GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woo Hoo! Finally, a home for my little E30!! Thanks Ed!

Default Woo Hoo! Finally, a home for my little E30!! Thanks Ed!

So now I absolutely have no need to run to Roadgnat for E30 chats...it's right here!

Cool. Hey, Jr., you done anything nifty to your iS lately? I've just been driving and enjoying, coming up on time for flexdisk and center bearing, and shifter rebuild, and wheel refinish, and...and...and....ah, heck I think I'll just drive it some more!

Bill B.

Bill B.
    95 525i

That is one good looking E30. Looks clean as a whistle. I like.

Welcome to the new 3 Series Board. I would not mind having a moderator for this board if we have any volunteers!

Default oh what the hell, heres mine

all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Great E30s, Winfred did you install the glass moonroof or

did you happen to get one of the very rare ones that were ordered that way?

Quote Originally Posted by winfred

Default Very nice Winfred

I like the engine compartment.

I just got Micahs ported intake. I'm thinking about powder coating it. Looks like your's is powdercoated!

I'm wondering what kinda gas milage you get Winfred?

Does it have LSD rear end?

i scored the roof from the yard, it's the only one i've seen in a e30. it got 24+ mpg on the last tank with a hell of a lot of flogging on my normal loop (20 miles one way to work 15 hwy, 6 days a week and mostly city on the weekend, one tank lasts a week) i don't know the full hwy i haven't done a full tank of hwy since the last round of mods, but i bet i can top 30. 3.73 posi 5 speed, the intake is enamal engine paint with clear laquier sprayed the next day, gives it a light wrinkle effect,
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Kewl, what's your 0-60
    Any views on powdercoating?

I always like to ponder what car I'd get next for the next daughter when she turns 16. I like working on these cars, so age of vehicle means nothing to me. It more the quality and performance and reliability of the vehicle. Also safety is important. After all they are my daughters. I always have told them, if they don't want a bimmer, they'll have to chose from only a handfull of other safe cars including Volvo and Benz. But thats also subjective.

i have no performance #'s on it, it feels like it hauls ass. i've never done any powdercoating or had it done, but i have been eyeballing the rig at harbor freight i have a old oven leftover from the kitchen remodel that could come in handy. as for cars i really like e30s next comes e34s, e32s are ok as long as they arn't too old, e36s can be ok but they can be crappy too, volvo 2/7/940s are good if it's a 4 cylinder, 850/960s can suck, 91 and up 240 can be a great driver. and i just don't like mercedes, we have one customer that has two old diesels and those are the only benz that are allowed on the lot (chuck the other mechanic's lawyer's cars)

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer Nut Ed
    Kewl, what's your 0-60
    Any views on powdercoating?

I always like to ponder what car I'd get next for the next daughter when she turns 16. I like working on these cars, so age of vehicle means nothing to me. It more the quality and performance and reliability of the vehicle. Also safety is important. After all they are my daughters. I always have told them, if they don't want a bimmer, they'll have to chose from only a handfull of other safe cars including Volvo and Benz. But thats also subjective.

Thanks Winfred. Yes, I like those old 240 Volvo's. I've owned probably a dozen of those over the first twenty years I drove. In fact, I have two 4 Cyl Volvo engines here I need to get rid of still. Wasting space. I was a Volvo Mechanic (assistant really), for two summers at my uncle's Volvo shop. That's where I got the greese in the veins. Working on cars ever since.

While working on those Volvos and before the Internet, I always felt I was alone, buying dealer (expensive) replacement parts, or junk yard parts. When I switch to BMW it seemed like I finally joined a great DIY community. Didn't feel that with the 240's. Been a Bimmer Nut ever since.

The M30 engine kinda reminds me of that 2.4 litre 4 cyl engine with 2 more cyl attached!

Anyone want a pair of 4 Cylinder Volvo Engines?

The only hesitation about an E30, especially if I were to consideer one for one of my daughters, would be it's crash safety. IMHO the e34 or even the E36 would be the way to go. I do like the E46, and that's likely where I'll end up after my E34. But the E34 has a long way to go yet. Although it just failled emmisions!

Oh yeah, my dad still drives a 1991 240.

i like the 91 and up 240s because they have better ac's, it runs a accumulator, a orfis tube and a aux fan and will work good on r134, the older cars have no aux fan, a expansion valve and run a drier and don't work great even on r12, they work better if you add a fan but they still suck

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer Nut Ed
    Oh yeah, my dad still drives a 1991 240.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast