GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine removal install at shop...

Default Engine removal install at shop...

Any expert advice here??

Was thinking of dropping the engine with the subframe what do you guys think???

If you have a shop lift it is probably easy to leave the drive train on the floor and raise the car. For weekend mechanics like myself who does it on his driveway with an engine lift, no such luxury is afforded. I did both the M60 and the M50 from the top.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

generally a pain in the ass to drop out the bottom plus it imobileizes the car, the only one i drop out the bottom is a 850 volvo as it's a bitch to take out the top, when i have one that's too long to take out together i drop the tranny then pull the engine out the top (just did that on a 960 volvo this week) e36 325s usually requier this, gotta loose the steering shaft too as it has a fight with the oil pan
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Out the bottom is the only way we do them at the dealership. That's really the easiest way to get them out if you have a lift available. We put them up in the air and drop the engine and transmission together onto a heavy duty shop dolly. The dolly elevates which makes things easier. Simple job to fix what needs fixing, slide dolly back under car, raise and attach.

Paul

THanks guys...Im going to pull it out the top. I spent a little bit after work removing the exhuast manifold nuts from studs, a/c comp, p/s pump, air intake boots, drained coolant, removed fan, etc. All thats is left is steering shaft link, trans bolts and pull the radiator out. whoop whoop...

You don't touch the steering shaft link. Just separate the PS pump from the engine. Also you can pull the engine and transmission as a unit. It is easier that way.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Steering shaft link-my fault. You only pull that if dropping out the bottom yeah? I think engine only will be quicker. After the bolts are removed from the flexplate from the trq conv. and the bellhousing, im set to lift it out.
    Plus I dont want to touch my rusted to **** exhaust yet, driveshaft issues. one problem at a time

Default tilt bar

is a big help on the hoist

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

yah thoseare great. Im suprised this is soooooo easy to remove ****. So much room!! I love it!!

the steering shaft is only in the way on a 6 cylinder e36, the oil pan almost wraps around it and i've busted pans and racks on **** cars trying to prybar the engine around the bastard

Quote Originally Posted by aston_jag_tech
    Steering shaft link-my fault. You only pull that if dropping out the bottom yeah? I think engine only will be quicker. After the bolts are removed from the flexplate from the trq conv. and the bellhousing, im set to lift it out.
    Plus I dont want to touch my rusted to **** exhaust yet, driveshaft issues. one problem at a time
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast